1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats your side hustle

Discussion in 'General' started by sanee, Jan 28, 2023.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Thought about doing Uber or Lyft in the near future. Anyone here do that? (sorry, I only read first and last page of the comments lol) For those that have done that and also food deliveries like Uber Eats, Doordash, etc. what are your thoughts on it? Pros and cons? Which one is more profitable?

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Door dash actually is pretty good I averaged over $20 an hour. Unlike some people say you can turn down any order you don't want without repercussions, there is a reddit subreddit for being a door dash drive that has a formula for $ per mile that you need. If you follow that you'll make good money in a busy area.

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Yeah, when I retire in Lubbock I might try that... Right now I make way more scooping dogshit in DFW in a company truck. If I could base 35 or 40 in my own vehicle, that might be a viable hustle.

Of course, when I retire I'll have limitations on how much I can earn over a given timeframe.

4. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

here in downtown you can kill it doing door dash,Uber eats, and grub hub at the same time with a scooter or bicycle. They give the guys big square backpacks they roll around on. They all hang out on 7th and grand with their bikes/scooters/groms just hanging out like a delivery gang haha. They make really good money for what they’re doing and don’t have the costs associated with a car.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I drive for Uber one or two nights a week, mainly to get out of the house. I meet interesting people - some more than others. BUT - the car I use is 11+ years old and has over 250K miles on it, so any additional mileage does not affect its value - it is already fully depreciated. I now average $30-35/hr, but before Covid it was higher. I only do rides, no food delivery. The latter is a PITA. Food not ready at arrival, 90% of deliveries are in apartment complexes where specific apartments are hard to find, and, mostly - I hate getting out of the car. I can't imagine doing any version of ride share/delivery as a full time "career." Lets just say it is my belief these companies prey on the stupid when recruiting drivers.

BigBird likes this.
  6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Is the $20 an hour before expenses? Like vehicle cost, insurance, gas, maintenance?

7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Its after gas. I never worried about insurance or maintenance because I had to pay those regardless

Razr likes this.
  8. sbk1198

I feel the same way, but haven't done either myself, so figured I'd ask. I was told before that doing food deliveries has more opportunities/orders, but you make less money with each. So you may have to drive more, but you're constantly making something, without having to sit around and wait like some drivers end up doing with share rides.

9. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

It really depends on your location,I drive Vegas,2011 Camry, work about 40 hrs.a week, making around 1000to1200 bucks.

Over the last five years of driving I deposited around 40k per year in the bank.
    I just recently paid cash for a 160k condo.

418, sbk1198, Pride & Joy and 3 others like this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

pretty sure you have stories

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  11. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Not really most of the people are on vacation or conventioners, they are usually very nice,and are here to spend money, and leave generous tips.

418, YamahaRick and BigBird like this.
  12. sbk1198

I'm in a small town in FL...don't think there's much to be made here, however I'm only about 25-30 minutes from the Orlando metro area which has a lot of potential consider all the tourism there. I think I'm going to sign up for it soon. I'll try both Uber and Lyft and see how it goes.

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  13. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

It really is. Almost all of them progress, provided they practice! And that's 95% dependent on the parents involvement.

14. superdino

superdino Naturally aspirated twin-turbo

SV650 stock shock relocation program. It's an untapped market.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have some old Revell model car kits I bought in the '70s and never bothered to assemble. Is there a market for them?

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Only if you have the good airplane glue ;)

fastfreddie likes this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I suspect after 45 years that shit is as hard as your head.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That would be the first thing to ever attain such status ;)

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

What's your Moh's rating?

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I’m more partial to the Vicker’s Scale.