1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's Louisville & Indianapolis rush hour like?

Discussion in 'General' started by PMooney Jr., Jul 18, 2016.

1. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Heading north up 65 next week, potentially hitting these two in the am. Is traffic Atlanta-bad in both places? I'll make sure I adjust accordingly if so. Thanks!

2. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Indianapolis didn't really have a rush hour when I lived there. I moved in 08. The traffic was heavier running 465 from the south to north side but never slowed down much...

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

You definitely want to get past Louisville on 65 North before rush hour.... Both directions suck with Bridge construction... Locals will chime in for recent updates but o the way too and from Road America in June it blew...

4. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

We avoid Louisville on our treks north (road construction and bridge work have it nightmarish). If you come up Chattanooga, through Knoxville, you can avoid Nashville and Louisville by taking 75 then the loop around Cincinnati. Then you hit the east side of Indy.

5. 418

418 Expert #59

Where are you going?

6. PMooney Jr.

Heading up to Bowling Green first. Leaving there and heading to Grand Rapids Mi.

ChuckS likes this.
  7. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I am in both regularly.

Heading up on 65 into Louisville, it's not "bad" like Atlanta. It will bottleneck and slowdown from the airport to the bridge to cross over into Indiana from 4PM - 6PM. After that it clear up fairly quickly. If anything, it may take you an extra 30-45 minutes to make it through if you get in right at 5:00pm. Fridays will be worse.

Your trek up to Indy right now will be thwarted with lots of construction on 65. Expect speeds lower than 65mph on your way because there will be several miles at a time of 55mph construction zones. As you hit Greenwood it will slow down a bit.

Depending on where you are going, it will be fine once you get on the 465 loop. If you are going north up to I-69, anytime between 4-6pm will be slow with people going home. But it's fairly easy and nothing compared to Atlanta.

Let me know where you are headed and can get you there easily.

8. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I make that trip all the time from North Alabama to Grand Rapids. You'll want to time it so you avoid Louisville construction best you can, Indy isn't generally that bad looping around 465.

There are no other options besides 65N that will be shorter than dealing with whatever slowdowns you may hit. From Indy some people take 31N, I don't like it, I take 69, but timing wise it's not much different.

9. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Also, avoid Nashville rush hour if you can. Its been shit for the last year or two.

I drive up that way to Chicago quite a bit, and Louisville is usually the worst spot. Construction in southern Indiana, leading up to Indianapolis isn't awesome, but its not too bad. Just time things (accounting for the time change) so that you're in between rush hours and you'll be fine.

10. 418

418 Expert #59

Yeah I was gonna suggest 24 all the way up to 57 but that's not gonna work for you.

I would travel at night, 65 is a joke right now.

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Fixed.....

12. 418

418 Expert #59

Crashville.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

The northeast corner of Indy where 465 meets 69 is probably the most congested part of the city, and it's still not that bad. It may slow down some, but seldom gets to the crawl stage.

14. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

What??? No... Its become remarkably craptacular since the influx of Kalifornians and Silicon Valley Millenials in the last few years... 4 years ago, I could get across town and out the other side to the airport in under 35 minutes. Today, its more like an hour and 15... And that's IF I can successfully make it across without being caught up in stoppage for a wreck...

15. Hyperdyne

Unfortunately, 65 is still your best route.

I mean I could get you an awesome scenic route that would allow you to stop and say hi to Earl, Rose and the boys.. Swing by Putnam and give Diasio the bird :D, then stop in for an Espresso with Matt and the boys at Indy Ducati. But that's the very scenic route. After Indy, it's a snoozefest until the Michigan line. Then you are dodging potholes all the way to Grand Rapids.

beac83 and TLR67 like this.
  16. PMooney Jr.

Awesome! Thanks everyone. Sounds like I should leave Bowling Green early the next morning perhaps 4:30- 5am and get through Louisville before traffic. I could leave in the eve also though. Pretty flexible. I've experienced Nashville traffic... It's pretty brutal too.

17. ScottyRock155

When you get to GR, enjoy some Yesterdogs for me.

18. Hyperdyne

Mom and Dad left for Silver Lake yesterday and plan on spending the week playing in the dunes.

ungwaha likes this.
  19. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Take the Bluegrass Parkway from Bowling Green to Lexington then pick up 75 to Cincinatti. The Parkway is four lane and you can make good time on it, traffic can be heavy in Lexington but as usual it depends on what time of day, in my experience it is not as bad as Louisville.

20. ScottyRock155

Grand Rapids is on the West side of Michigan. If you leave Bowling Green and end up on I75, you have added hours to your trip.