What's in my oil?

Discussion in 'General' started by RS250Ape, Feb 12, 2024.

1. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

Purchased a 2015 R3 that has been sitting most of its life. 3000 miles on the clock. Seems to run just fine. Starting to go through it and pulled the plug on the oil drain to this. Tiny white-ish trail while draining the oil. If I were to guess its the original oil No sparkles. Looked dark but not like chocolate milk. Bike seems to run fine-no smells, no smoke, temp is comparable. I have a second R3 and they sound, feel identical. Going to use this one as a track toy so plan on just flogging the sh-- out of it and see how it goes. Unless someone here is confident this is enough of a sign of eminent implosion. Don't want to ruin everyone's day IF I there's a good possibility of blowing chunks and oil on the track.
    IMG_8893.jpg

IMG_8895.jpg

2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I would guess that's just some condensate.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

:stupid:

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

It’s the ghost of Apollo Creed!

Sabre699 and brex like this.
  5. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

:moon:

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Change the oil and filter and take a good long cruise. Bring it back and check it afterwards to see. It's probably just condensation from sitting.

Banditracer likes this.
  7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Part 2.

8. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Huh... I didn't know R3's even had oil in them.

+1 for moisture.

RS250Ape likes this.
  9. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

Not sure how familiar with racing 2015 R3s, but every one that Ive seen pushes the base gasket out of the front and the rear. Spears makes a kit to fix this if you want to dig into the motor. If you don’t want to dig into the motor, smear some JB weld across it on the front and rear where the base gasket is. The JB will chip off easily if you ever need to take it apart. But it does stick well enough to hold the gasket in. I bought a 2015 brand new, and have been racing it hard every season since, and have never had a single issue with it.

RS250Ape likes this.