1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's all the big whoop about all this "wind" at Indy?

Discussion in 'General' started by racerfranz, Sep 15, 2008.

1. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

Anyone who's raced at Willow Springs for any length of time know's what a couple of 60-80mph blasts of wind is like...with snow too!!!:D:Poke:

I was suprized to hear Hopper saying that was the worst conditions he'd ever raced in, since he too came from Willow. 'Course he wasn't there long, as he made the rise to the big time pretty quick.:up:

Kudos to all those guys though, wish I could have gone and watched in person.

2. SalKhan

SalKhan Well-Known Member

These guys weren't too happy:

[​IMG]

3. DangerZone

DangerZone CAUTION!

Hell I wouldn't be happy either. That's a long damn walk to the grandstands from there. :D

4. styles

styles The untrained eye

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wow, that's a lot of pain right there.

6. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

that HyperMotard isn't actually on it's side it's just 'backing it in' to that spot...

7. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Somebody posted these on BARF...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not quite as dramatic as a bunch of downed Ducs but still...

8. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

What an idiot. The one/two with the cover that is. The two with the covers learned a valuable lesson at the expense of the other seven.

9. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Well this:

[​IMG]

Turned into this:

[​IMG]

Ouch...

10. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

thats mint:up:
    It wasn't like they didn't know Ike was coming:crackhead:They only had like a weeks notice:crackup:

11. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

i thought ducks liked the wind and rain?

:D

12. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Ahh, shit happens. I remember a weekend at JGP where race bikes were knocked down from wind. 90% of canopies blown away.... Plus these guys can probably afford a few new pieces of plastic without breaking the bank :up:

13. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

I was at Indy over the weekend, and is was as bad as you can imagine. Not surprised at all to see that the Yamaha tent was down. When they finally red flagged the race, we took off, despite the promised restart. Kudos to all the riders, as despite the conditions, all who started completed up to the red flag.

All in all, it was a fun weekend, and I'll definitely be back next year.

14. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Yeah the wind was serious, a couple of people got hurt from flying awnings and such. The Yammie tent was FUBARed big time. I think I saw the parts unlimited tent flapping around too. I feel for the guys with the DUCs. All because a couple of guys didn't want to get their bikes wet when they were going to have to ride in the rain later and more than likely rode in in the rain.

15. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I was in the stands at Turn 4 and there was a moment where I was like "we need to leave the stands - they're still racing and a tornado is going to touch down any minute" - it was the strangest thing I've ever seen.

16. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I've spent lots of time at Willow, and at its worst, the storm during this past weekend was worse than anything I've ever seen there, by a lot. Chris, I'm with you...the sound of a 60+ wind howling through the grandstands was pretty crazy.

17. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

Those Ducs down in a row is just painful to look at.

Crazy race weather. Isn't the midwest good for tornadoes & such in Sept? Maybe earlier in the season would be better for next year.

18. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

It turned into an R1 chromed-out bike show? That sucks. :(

19. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

Wind was no joke at indy..........was a blast thought despite the weather.
    I highly recommend st Elmos's http://www.stelmos.com/

Saw Schwantz and Blake Young eating there on Sunday.

20. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!