What year is this XR250...

Discussion in 'General' started by packfan, Jan 21, 2007.

1. packfan

packfan El Presidente

Maybe this should be in tech but I figure it will not take long here...

What Year? I tried google pics and it looked like a mid to late 80's?

[​IMG]

I have not seen it yet... the guy "doesn't know..."

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Quich search says 1985-1986. Only years I can see that had XR on the seat.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  3. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

I'd guess 83-86. I had an 83 XR-500R and they were very similar. Rear fender has been replaced, tool bag missing. Front brake cover not original.

4. packfan

packfan El Presidente

If it runs like a champ is it worth 550? new tires and chain...

5. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

Looks like an 85. I think the fork protectors were blue in 85. The XR on the seat looks like 85 as well and if it's the same as other Honda products, I believe they put the blue on the swingarm in 85 too.

6. dtalbott

Do you want it? The old XR's were bullet-proof for the most part.

7. packfan

packfan El Presidente

yup.. want it to ride for a while then hope to get my money back or close....

8. B. Myers

B. Myers Well-Known Member

didn't the '85 model have dual carbs? I know the XR200 did....buddy had one and it was a great bike. Later reports said Honda had problems keeping them synched, so in '86 they went back to the single carb....

But yea, I would venture to say, mid 80's....

9. dtalbott

Correct, but I'm too young to remember any problems with the dual carbs.

10. dtalbott

And I changed the wrong number when I edited my first post.

The XR on the seat was 1984-1985, NOT 1985-1986.

11. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

I had a 87' XR250r

they are bullet proof bikes

that does looks like a 84 or 85

thumpertalk.com for more info

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, it's worth $550. Even if you only get a season out of it.

13. packfan

packfan El Presidente

Well it is a dual carb... so looks like I will become a sync master....

14. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

is the frame red or orange? red changed to orange in '84 I think. dual carbs make alot more power/heat. jetting can be tricky. factory jetting is way too lean. they can get a cracked head between the exhaust valve guide and sparkplug hole from excessive heat. the factory air box/boots make removing the carbs a pain, I removed the boots and use uni filters, also use 350R carbs on my 250R, and an O2 sensor and mixture indicator, if the bowls dont have the easy main jet access you can get them from the XR500, direct swap.

/////

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

That's an 84-85. It's not synching like you do on a carbureted four-cylinder road bike - the carbs act like a two-barrel setup. One is used at partial throttle openings, then the other opens. There is a tang that initiates the opening of the secondary. It usually is set to open it too late and you have hesitation. Just bend the metal tang to initiate the opening earlier, and you will eliminate the bog. I've owned three '84 XR500s, and it's really an easy fix. These are excellent bikes. The weak link is forks, it's really front-end heavy and they're too softly valved (and sprung). Find a set of '87 CR forks, it turns it into a sweet off-road machine.

16. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Is the dual carb thang on these the same as the one that came on the XL600R's of the same years? That is to say...does only one of them have a float bowl, and they engage sequentially?

If so, the trick is to bag the whole sequential thing, and make it so that they both open and close together, right from idle...then jet the main one w. the float bowl ignoring the other one. I wish I could remember what it was I did to join them...modded the linkage somehow. EDIT: ya, you have to bend that little tab...thanks for the reminder!

Anyway, it worked perfect on 2 bikes...both would pull from about 4 RPM, and were nearly impossible to stall. Hope that helps.

17. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

No, two separate carbs, sequential linkage. It works fine if you get the timing right.

18. jtroyh

jtroyh Well-Known Member

N da future, try bikez.com to identify bikes.

Please add pics where you have them.

19. packfan

packfan El Presidente

Well it is not a 250... it is a 350:up: , single carb, 1985... and its mine!!!

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

1985? Dinosaurs and Dave K's on RS750s and GS750s roamed the earth then? :D