1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What tires for CB350?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by donovangravlee, Oct 8, 2009.

1. donovangravlee

donovangravlee Active Member

Hey guys.

I picked up a CB350 last month that Im getting ready for next season.
    Never done Vintage racing before so Im looking for some Tire Suggestions.

What race tires should I buy for my CB350?

2. joec

joec brace yourself

dunlops. great tires. im running the dunlop front and avon rear. i love it.

get the dunlop from barker.

rcbtires.com

3. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

Joe, what's the thinking behind the mix and match Dunlop and Avon setup?

4. bj

bj Well-Known Member

You're making a very big assumption that there's some kind of thinking behind anything Joe does.:D

5. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

You'll have to ask Chris Marshall, but here's his input from the following panel discussion:

http://www.eurospares.com/tires.htm

I ran a Dunlop F & Avon R most of this year simply because Barker didn't have the rear Dunlop when I needed it. The front Dunlop is amazing, and I push the front hard...the rear Avon was O.K., but the edges were going fast even w/30HP and it felt a little loose to me. I really feel improved rear end grip in the dry w/the Dunlop now. The Avon's are fine to start with and supposedly better in the wet...I'll let you know how the Dunlop rear works in the rain this weekend at Barber. ;)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  6. Chumbucket

Got it...How long do you guys get out of a set of tires on the CB's? What sort of pressures are ya running?

7. joec

joec brace yourself

2 seasons of heavy racing on the dunlops. more on the avons. but it depends on the track.

the dunlop rear is nice too. but the are a bit more expensive. i picked the dunlop front for the profile and weight savings. people didnt seem to have a problem running the avon rear with that combo, so i went with it.

26f/28r

8. Chumbucket

Holy COW! You guys are onto something here! My reality just got altered...That's incredible, you fellas do seem to have a damn good time at it too...

I have almost no experience on Vintage iron today, I had a lot of experience on Vintage iron when it wasn't so vintage....I got a chance to ride Oldakowski's SR 500 a couple years back and that was just plain fun...It was shod with Avons, I think the front was pretty shagged at the time, it would push the front end if you got real vigorous with it but it was real forgiving, or maybe that was the fork flex, or both....Felt like a big sponge up front, shove a manly push on the inside bar and, moooooooooshhhhh -- Look at me! I'm pushing the front end like a regular Wayne Gardner! -- and then you'd emerge from the corner upright and I thought, "Huh, This thing is real forgiving." I attributed it to the tires...Heck of a lot of fun...

9. donovangravlee

donovangravlee Active Member

So uh. Dunlops then?

1. what kind of dunlops?

Jeez 2 seasons !! ?? hell yea !!

Im looking at these Dunlop Tires on rcbtires.com

2. are these race compound?

KR124a front and rear. would these be a good choice?
    or should I go for the KR164 ?

10. LI Pilot

LI Pilot Yamadog

I just came across this thread and had a few questions. 1st what model Avon tire is it that is recommended?
    And the other is in regards to the rims of an XS650, I believe the spoke count is different so how are these adapted to the CB hub?

11. Rocan

Rocan Well-Known Member

the xs650 should have 36 holes... doesnt it?:(

12. ERION

ERION Guest

Not many choices for that bike and rim size but i run metzlers on my 1975 cb400 supersport.

13. oljackboy

oljackboy Active Member

The little KR825 is best on a wm2 rim(1.85). It is a majic tire. The Kr124 front not so much.

14. LI Pilot

LI Pilot Yamadog

Sorry confusing my 450 (40 count) with my 350 (36 count). In any case, does anyone recommend tires the CB450?

15. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Same same, avons or dunlops. Not much selection.
    I prefer Avons, some prefer Dunlops.

16. Moore007

Moore007 Well-Known Member

I've run Dunlops the last couple of years and prefer them over the Avons because they seem to give a little more notice before they are completely gone and toss you on your backside, but I've never gotten more than one season out of either and really believe you pushing fate if you try it. Good rubber is money well spent.

17. joec

joec brace yourself

3rd season completed on mine. about 7 race weekends each season. 2-3 classes per weekend. only one wet race. chris kicked some ass at mosport with his 9 year old tires. (2 dunlops) 1st honda to finish both classes, took 2 4ths i think. i rode the bike to shake it down since he rebuilt the chasis and motor and had no problems at all. ill probably replace mine after next year. brandon cretu did 138's on it at summit and said he had no problems this last race weekend. he won the 500gp race by about 30secs. he said he could have gone faster, and had never raced a vintage bike. he only had one round of practice.

there is no right answer here, but i love the profile of the 825 and the 8lb weight savings. use it on a wm2. i cant remember which tube im using now, but that matters too when it comes to profile. the dunlop rear is no lighter, and since ive had no problems with the avon in the past, i used it. though people use the avons front and rear often with great results.

"good rubber" on a stocker is as much in your head, as it is in your wallet. but thats just my opinion.

oh, and id say im an average rider. top half of the field every weekend if not better.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  18. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I think both Wayne and Joe are right.....and alot of the difference is with the HP.

Waynes bike is fast, one of the best V1 motor / set-up's on any grid :up:

I could see Waynes bike (and Wayne :D) being tougher on a set of tires than a stocker 350.

Good rubber is money well spent.....but even if you apply Waynes experience, thats an ENTIRE season on a set of tires.....and like Joe said, maybe more:up:

I've gotten more than one season, but didnt have Waynes power.

I ran Avons for 2-3 years.....this season is first on dunlops....I've got no issues with either, but did ride dunlops in the rain for the first time at Barber and noticed they were not as good wet as Avons.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  19. Chumbucket

What kind of ponies is a strong V-1/CB350 turning out compared to the GP CB's? Either way, pretty hard to beat season or three out of a set of tires...

20. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

two words...

Dun & Lop. :cool:

i got 35 sessions (races and practices) out of my old front before it started sliding enough to where i was uncomfortable with it. 'still have my original rear on the back (since May of last year) and it feels good still.