1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What parts are most important?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Lazarus, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Say you have a stock bike that you ride on the street alot but that you want to do 10+ track days a year and maybe race eventually, what parts would you buy for it? Tires, gear, training (school, trackdays, and practices) are automatic so I'm not looking for them. Heres a list I've compiled so far but I'm on a budget so I'd like to figure out what the order of importance is:

- stainless steel brake lines
    - frame sliders
    - swingarm sliders
    - track bodywork
    - 520 chain and spocket (-1, +2)
    - rearsets
    - clip ons
    - engine covers
    - brake pads
    - levers

2. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

track bodywork and brake lines/pads/fluid. If you got more into it Id say suspension also

3. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

you left off suspension setup..

4. :stupid:

If nothing else, at least get the stock suspension setup for your weight.

5. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Thats true but only because I feel that it might be a while before I get it both from a financial standpoint and a skills standpoint. I was always told it takes a while to outride a stock suspension.

This is already done.

6. As far as level of importance, this is more like it...

-Suspension setup for your weight
    -track bodywork
    -good tires
    -SS brake lines and good pads
    -engine covers/sliders
    -good damper (or maybe thicker fluid in the stock one)

Done.

The rest of the stuff isn't necessarily "important", as in it isn't a necessity to riding on the track.

You can (and many people have/do) race with the stock levers and rearsets.
    A 520 kit is nice, but not absolutely necessary. At least not starting out anyway.

I rode my new 750 on the track when it was bone stock other than some of my own take-offs. Stock braking system, suspension etc and it handled itself very well.

7. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

I'm getting the lines this week and I already got Motul RBF 600 fluid. I should probably look into brake pads as well, I guess some new pads wouldnt hurt for the upcoming season.

8. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

I was thinking about getting the chain and spockets so that I can get different gearing and get some more low end torque, both for street and the track. Its not a necessity like you said though. I could certainly wait until I wad something up to replace it, like the levers or rearsets.

9. Are you setting your bike up to race? This is the "New Racers" section.

Sure, if you have the cash...then get a 520 kit. With the tracks you will be racing at you could just go -1/0 or -1/+1 and leave it. Want more drive?...carry more corner speed and get on the gas sooner/harder.

As far as the other stuff, yeah...if you are on a budget then just wait until you have to replace something.

In other words, the other stuff is nice; but if you are on a budget you would be better off focusing on tires and race-time other than new parts.

10. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Eventually I am going to be racing but I'm sure there are other new riders that have stock or near stock bikes that want to see what modifications are worthwhile to do.

I like modify stuff as much as I like riding/driving so I was think about just doing some work to the bike. Another side of the coin could be to not do anything to this bike, ride it on the track as is and save money towards a dedicated race bike.

11. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

My dedicated track bike has less done to it than my street bike (gearing, slipon, bodywork, tires, and pc). When I break/wear stuff out I'll replace it or as I can afford it. Start with plastics and tires. Do the basics you'll be surprised at what you don't really "need". By the time you get your stock bike up to where you want it you won't be far behind a track bike, and if you crash it you still have a bike to ride on the street.

12. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

after suspension....seat time! This means track days and or riding/racing schools. Most of all HAVE FUN!

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Suspension and Seat time... You will need a BellyPan. so Bodywork would be on there as well,.

14. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

I'm surprised crash protection isn't higher on the list.

15. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Don't crash:D

16. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

I didn't know there was such a thing as crash protection?

17. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

im not sure how you'd ride very comfortably on a track without aftermarket rearsets and clipons. riding on the street now feels weird with the stock positioning to me. but just my .02

18. grapesmuggler27

grapesmuggler27 Well-Known Member

ok so i will try to run off of this question as I am in the market for a race bike, Im new to racing and track riding all together (doing the race school in april at nelson ledges). My question is I have a price I want to spend, would I be better of buying a newer (07ish) bike with the basics done ie body work, case covers, maybe exhaust & pc or a older bike (05ish) with all the goodies?

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

always cheaper to buy a bike already complete. My SV was free. Im about $3k into it right now. :D
    id get the most late model equipped bike I could afford.

20. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Yes, they make'em better & better every year.