1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What once was old,is now new.

Discussion in 'General' started by Jeff McKinney, Nov 7, 2023.

1. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

2. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

47hp? Blah

3. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Interesting. So if small bikes are all getting larger, and the 'twins' class went from 650 to 660s and 700s and now Suzuki GSX8oo....where do we go from here? 1000cc parallel twin 'sporty' bikes?

4. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

and then in another 6 years, Kawasaki will increase the ZX-4rRR to 600cc?

badmoon692008 and nlzmo400r like this.
  5. 418

418 Expert #59

They really need to GTFO with the inline twins already. Everyone has one now.

They must be cheap to make.

Boom and cpettit like this.
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They are cheaper than Vs from what I’ve read and you can use them in more products.

stk0308 likes this.
  7. nlzmo400r

They're certainly cheaper from a parts count perspective, and from a pure performance standpoint, they allow for better placement in the chassis and ultimately higher performance. Shame they're so lame compared to Vs.

03RumbleBee likes this.
  8. nlzmo400r

and we'll pretend the performance is INSANE, but it'll be the same as that of a 2015 ZX6R

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

They are just 0 degree Vtwins
    :)

YamahaRick and 418 like this.
  10. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

For a consumer bike, unless restricted via govt regs, it makes sense to go with simple cheap but low specific output architectures and just scale the displacement to get the desired performance.

At the end of the day from an engineering perspective, what matters is how quick you want it to go when you crack the throttle open. Displacement is just a variable in this equation.

Riot likes this.
  11. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

They have to do that on purpose for some EU/Dem BS.., (but Kawasaki says the motor is A2-compliant, meaning there will be no more than 47bhp.)
    neutered the ecu on the ZX4RR too..

03RumbleBee likes this.
  12. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Hopefully the restriction will be an easy work around and it makes about 65hp uncorked,seeing how an ex500 made like 50rwhp bone stock.

13. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Lawn mowers, smart cars, generators, pressure washers

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was talking more about the Brazil and similar markets with the lumpers and twins but, yeah, I guess.

15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Little bike race classes gonna be a mess over the next few years.

16. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I'm pretty sure I saw that some of the A2 compliant bikes were restricted in a way that could be undone once the rider upgrades their license. Hopefully that's all it is. Like how some small 2 strokes have a washer in the exhaust to choke the flow and restrict power.

17. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

These parallel twin releases are getting crazy... KTM announced a 990 Duke with parallel twin.