What is the Ultimate retired racers sportcruiser?

Discussion in 'General' started by caferace, May 16, 2017.

1. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Kettle, pot.... What series Harley do you have again??? :Poke: :moon:

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't. Traded my one Goldwing ever in on a ZRX1200 because the Wing was great but boring as hell, I'd zone out riding it. I did eventually get a Harley full dresser, it was anything but boring with bad brakes, not a lot of power, handling was good for the size, amazing at slow speeds. Oh and can't forget they attached the huge fairing to the forks - so any wind gust would steer the bike :crackup: It was great to ride but built for people shorter than me, traded it in on the Mutli and happy as could be.

derblott likes this.
  3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

The tiger 800 roadie is a decent ride

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

friend had one- I wanted to like it but they somehow managed to remove every trace of the 675 goodness...super boring motor. A DL650 is just as good for a bunch less.

5. JWVance

JWVance Well-Known Member

I have a first gen FZ1 (2002) that is likely going up for sale. It has the Ivans jet kit, yosh slip-on, 1.0 fork springs, BMWS1000RR shock, aftermarket handlebars (I have a couple sets). Carbs, forks, brakes were gone through last year, about 2K miles ago. Total miles on the bike are about 13K. It has always been garaged but has a couple bumps from a tip over in a parking lot...I bought it new back in 2002 and it has been great when I have ridden it, as it has sat in the garage more than anything else. Getting close to 50 and looking at possibly more touring type riding I am looking at a new gen Strom or Multistrada (can those even be on the same class?) for more comfort and luggage. The FZ1 is great though, just my 50 year old knees and hips need stretched out a little more for multiple days of riding.

6. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

So, you admit...BadTaste....:) (I once rode a G'wing...it was like riding an escalator zero, vibes, wind, sensation...it was devoid of all the things that make motorcycling fun...it did GO, and Stop well...but still seemed like driving a spaceship on auto pilot.
    If I had to ride to the West Coast on the Interstate, it would be my choice.)

7. 2 best options available:

1. Ducati Multistrada.

It is easily the best all-around bike in the world. It is capable of doing cross-country trips while carrying luggage, or weaving through city traffic, or doing a track day, or even going off-road.

2. Triumph Sprint ST (not the GT).

I've done many cross-country trips on mine. It is capable of all the same things as the Multistrada (with the exception of off-road). It has the same 1050cc Triple motor as the Speed Triple.

They stopped making them, so you'll have to find a good used one. It will be much cheaper than the Ducati, but doesn't have all the electronic gizmos.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I've probably said that same thing a thousand times, and it's true. At a certain point, especially with the trikes and spyders, you might as well just get a convertible. And honestly, when it comes to pavement cruising, I'd almost rather have a nice light convertible like an S2000 or a Boxster (no Miatas!).

9. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

My 1991 VFR750, which has an asking price of $2,800 . . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wouldn't hesitate to ride it to the West Coast tomorrow. I just need to thin the herd.

Cheers,

Dave

10. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I just sold my Ducati Multistrada. Won't be buying a Ducati again either. Call the Wing whatever you want, I ride to work at 4-5am in the morning and home at 5-10pm at night 4-7 days per week. It does lots of stuff good. Nothing great except comfort. Most of you know me well enough to know if I am on 2 wheels it won't be boring. I have 10 other motorcycles to entertain me, just not on the street.... It is a fad, but not sure I would sell the Wing even if I added to the herd.....

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

It depends on how much you want to spend.

I have a 2017 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Enduro and it is an awesome motorcycle. But, it does not come cheaply. Wife & rode it 2-up to/from Austin MotoGP with loaded bags, and it was a great ride. I had it on dirt Monday in N. Georgia and it did well (different tires would make a big difference).

The Tiger 800 is a great bike as well. Rode one in Colorado as well as around Scotland, IOM and Ireland for several weeks. Love the 3 cylinder, and the bike is quite flexible and comfortable.

Cheers,

Dave

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

I'm admittedly a bit biased to the 1290, but these things are pretty amazing. Only shortcoming is the wind generated noise off the windscreen is bad if you're tall enough. Oh, and stupid expensive, but hopefully they get some holdover action so 2 years from now when I'm ready to change, I can get one highly discounted.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  13. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

I know where you can get a really nice one of these, cheap! [this one] Ridden only by a very mature motorcyclist, mostly to and from church on Sundays. [only selling because I bought a new one a few months ago]

[​IMG]

XFBO, 83BSA and ScottyRock155 like this.
  14. SOFG2

SOFG2 Well-Known Member

Bought a '98 VTR and an '89 650 Hawk the other day for me and the boy to kick around on. Not sure yet what to do with them.

15. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I rode a '99 to work today. Damn nice bikes and that V4 with the staintune pipe sounds great!

83BSA likes this.
  16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Spam !!! :D

83BSA likes this.
  17. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

If I ever ride on the street again,I think I want an FZ-08.Been eyeing them for a couple years,and I see them all the time for damn near new condition(under 1K miles) and $5K or less.

18. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

As weird as it sounds it's my "unattainable" bike ... If I came into some money tomorrow (but not like fuck you money) that would be the bike I would buy... It has everything I want in a bike but all turned up to 11... I've been drooling over them since they were announced but there's absolutely no way I could ever justify buying one anytime soon... Hopefully someone buys one and parks it in the garage and I can pick it up for half price 6 or 7 years from now.

19. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I want this, in about 60 days.

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I want a white '93 or an 01-02 some day, fuck that vtec shit