What does this instagram post from B. Spies mean?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Oct 4, 2017.

1. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

It makes what Kyle Wyman has accomplished even more impressive.

Gorilla George and Banditracer like this.
  2. This.

I’d like to think if Ducati would have offered true Factory support, Ben would be gridding up next year.

But trying to raise enough money for a rig+trailer, salaries for all the team (including his own salary), transportation around the country (plus lodging, meals, etc), plus entry fees and tires........AND having to pay for the bikes, motors, software/data/engineers, etc...it’s all just too much.

Even for somebody like Ben, trying to fund a Factory-level team from scratch that is capable of challenging Yosh and Graves for an entire season, without any Factory backing (money), is damn near impossible.

Ducati offering to actually fund a MotoAmerica effort would have probably resulted in a different outcome. But them saying “we will provide Ben with whatever he needs to be successful, as long as someone pays for it” likely put the nail in the coffin.

JustaNobody likes this.
  3. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

Why would Ducati put that kind of money into a series that doesn't draw many fans ? I love pro racing as much as you can nowadays. I just don't see it growing much at all. Everybody seems to have aspirations of racing overseas. If you look all the younger kids are spending boatloads of money to race in obscure Spanish stuff instead of racing here.

4. I’m not saying Ducati should have done it, or questioning their decision. I’m just saying their unwillingness to fund a MA program is probably why Ben isn’t gridding up.

But as far as “why should they?”...I don’t know. I reckon the same reason Suzuki and Yamaha do.

JustaNobody likes this.
  5. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

I think Yamaha does it because they have persevered over the many changes and the management are passionate about it. Yoshimura really doesn't have a choice as they are in the business of making aftermarket items. Suzuki Japan has canceled their FIM motorcross involvement and even their Japan national involvement.

6. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I think it was just a little too late in order to secure what he would need to be competitive. But this gives him all if 2018 to get his ducks in a row

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Ftfy

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Damn, even after it's over, you guys won't quit speculating. :D
    I told you guys not to get your hopes up. :D

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Like who?

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

But Rossi could race for free and still net more with endorsements and merch sales than The Janitor.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Honda, Suzuki and KTM have the broadest involvement in two wheel racing worldwide.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Jean Michel Bayle

Riders Discount likes this.
  13. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Aaron Yates, Ben Spies. 15 years ago many of the quick guys came from moto-x.

14. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i think the comments about "like who? ", were in reference to racers that went from roadracing to dirt (without decades of dirt exp initially).
    We all know there are tons that went from dirt to roadracing..

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Colin Edwards
    Troy Bayliss

16. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

17. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

18. 03RumbleBee likes this.
  19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Use google translate, ya lazy cousin f@ckin' sterno drinkin' hillbillies. :D

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Use Chrome, it'll translate. Or just hit the button for English on the page...

turbulence and JustaNobody like this.