1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA Endurance in 2013

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by gpstar748, Jun 18, 2012.

1. FZR 473

FZR 473 Well-Known Member

thank you on the 250s. I do think the interest is really picking up on that class though. With the new 300 coming, maybe an Endurance 250 on a regional sprint weekend in the Southeast may be in the future.

Any thoughts on the minimum number requirement? I know people like to have a firm schedule and it not changing during the year (scheduling time off, etc) but hey....if you want to ensure that it does not change....get other teams to pre-register for the Endurance events at the higher cost tracks. Again, feasible?

I know it varies due to the track's rental cost....but is the magic number of 20-25 a number that will pay the bills (and make you a lil money!) on an endurance day? I understand if you do not want to share this number.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Minimum requirement for a 250 race? You're right it would have to depend on the track but if it were in addition to an Endurance race and was really only taking up practice time it could be a lower number than we'd need otherwise. I'll have to think about it a bit more and look at what track we could do it at.

If it were just on a normal sprint weekend it would take more teams to make it viable since it would be taking the place of solos or Vintage sprints so it would have to offset the income from those races.

Now if after all that you meant a minimum team pre entry for the main Endurance series, I don't think we'll be doing that any time soon. We just need to work on ways of getting more teams out as well as paying the bills with what we have instead of saying we cancel some if we don't get enough entries. All that would do is make things too iffy for riders/teams and too uncertain for the series to survive.

3. FZR 473

FZR 473 Well-Known Member

I meant minimum requirement for the main Endurance series. Yeah I understand the uncertainity part. Everybody wants next year schedule now (lol) and doesn't want it to change once it is out. Cancelling an event can cause more harm than good.

Regarding the 250s, if it was a two hour race, you always have to think of what those two hours are replacing and its revenue stream. Not as easy as just adding a race/class is it?

4. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Sean, thanks for even being open to the idea. I had a blast this past weekend and if everyone that was on the grid would put a 2 man team together I think it would be a pretty cool thing. Maybe even a solo 20 on the sprint weekends if time and entries allow? Im just throwing ideas out, I know how to sell batteries but I dont know shit about running a race so hopefully you will be able to find a way to make it profitable so that it can happen.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not at all that easy :D

I know I've said it before but I'll repeat it, I'm an Endurance fan, always have been and I have done things to try and help the series to the detriment of the sprint racer and our bottom line. Right now though we don't have that leeway so the boss has me on a very short leash with trying things that would piss off those paying the bills so we can all have fun. Hopefully we can work something out to keep everyone happy and go have some fun.

FWIW - trust me you guys are actually a little better than I am with the schedule, I really wish it was done in June or July :D

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I like the Solo idea, I'll have to look and see what the normal 250 turnout is for them (I know a lot of people don't run them since they aren't competitive so it's not the best gauge but it's a start when I go to Evelyne with a new idea).

7. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Kick ass! I kinda had to slack off this year because of the baby but im looking forward to more weekends next year. I think the solo would be great! If your already there for the weekend its another class besides ESS where your bike is competitive.

8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I would CERTAINLY get behind a 250 Regional endurance series. See I figure it like this.... For the most part, us 250 guys are usually regulars. And since there is no real reason other than the plaque to chase Regional championships as there is no more discount card (which I completely agree with, because of the numbers you guys posted in the past about the cost) I think a 2 hour regional endurance race would give more of a sense of accomplishment.

I have ridden as a stand in on some endurance teams. And the reward at the end of the year after all those hours and effort makes it something special.

And there is the beauty of the 2 hour. It can be ran by two riders, made on one set of tires, cheap cost, and lots of track time. Also it doesn't beat the shit out of the bike.

The Solo turnouts won't be much. As it is now treated like a practice session. Not telling anyone how to do things. Just telling it from a racers perspective. I am ALL about WERA making money. I think this could work. Just like I said last year about the Double headers, I think those have worked out well.

My idea would be to look at the Jennings race. OR even better yet. Look at that turn out, and count it as a maybe the first 2013 250 endurance round. Even using that as points to go towards 2013. If the amount of entries, even on Thanksgiving weekend, don't make it finacially viable then don't do it.

Also, the 250 endurances at CMRA also bring a bunch of the big bike racers into the 250's also. Endurance racing is endurance racing.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No way on a series for now - we can't get enough of you guys in a sprint for your own race at most rounds and an Endurance would cut that rider pool in half. But it is an idea for the future and we'll look at it.

10. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

I'd get a 250 in a heartbeat if there were solos or some sort of endurance races on the schedule. :up:
    Don't have one now because of LWT SS.

11. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

What about the possibility of combining LW endurance with the 250 endurance race for a round or two, completely separate from MW / HW endurance? I know this may just be robbing Peter to pay Paul, but from a safety standpoint the lower top-end speeds of the SV650's make better sense than the top-end speeds of the liter bikes vs the SV650's.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We're talking a 2 hour for the 250's, no way that would work for the LW teams.

13. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I wish you would, I love to stuff me some Travis.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Come on now, sexual harassment isn't cool...

15. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

He's used to it :D

16. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Must have at least 1 rider change, even though a 2 hour is a solo.

;)

What Sean says, attendance at some of the rounds this year has been low. Real low. The big tracks get a crowd, the other tracks not so much. +20 bikes on the grid this past weekend was great but not the norm.

17. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

I'm sure that sounded better in your head before you posted it... :crackup:
    Good to see you coming to grips with who you really are.

18. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Nah it came out just how I meant it....

Lets not get into who's more feminine, tattoo :D

19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

A series that would consist of 8 hours total. That's hardly a series but also can't be that big of a risk. Finacially wise anyways. But then again, you don't tell me where to look for crack either lol

But going off of CMRA's regionally based results

2-hour endurance had 10 entries--$2000
    3 hour had 18--------------------$5400---$3600
    2 hour had 18 again--------------$3600
    4 hour had 19--------------------$7600---$3800
    2 hour had 12--------------------$2400
    4 hour had 15--------------------$6000---$3000
    2 hour had 18--------------------$3600

Now those are all 250's in a regional area. That's the total. And the side ones are if they were all 2 hour endurances. Now it is known that they have a well established Mini endurance series hence the 8 rounds. So cut it in half :D

LMFAO!!! That was classic!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  20. sowega

sowega #710

I'd definitely have a team fielded for any and all WERA-run 250 endurance races.