1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welding frame?

Discussion in 'General' started by Speedballer, May 6, 2002.

1. Speedballer

Speedballer Banned

How do you weld a big break in the main/structural frame, high-stress area. Mig or tig? What type of aluminum is used for the frames.
    Any recommendations on who does this? GMD?

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

TIG,
    and you should be sure that the guy operating it knows what he is doing.
    Also make sure that the clear coat, or silver, anodize is removed before welding in any area..

3. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

Yeah and just what makes you think you know anything about welding!?!??!

:D

Give me a lathe. Please. You won't miss it. Hell I bet if you looked you have one you've forgotten about!

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Me, I know Nothing about it, I wasn't there,It was someone that looked like me..

If I gave you a lathe< Rikki would kill me.(Don't tell her I am looking for you a small one, to fit in the corner of your garage.)

I one time read a book about TIG welding, it was reeeeel interesting. (Some days, I wiish it would have been a comic book that I read insted.)

5. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

Re: Me, I know Nothing about it, I wasn't there,It was someone that looked like me..

You could build one!

Lathe: the only machine with the capability to replicate itself!

6. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

":Lathe: the only machine with the capability to replicate itself!"

Nope, thats a Mill (BridgePort w/ all the extra attachments)

7. I have always wondered how it can replicate its own giant forged cast iron main body frame...

Does a bridgeport have a window into space that will transport you to a giant foundry?
    :D

8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

AnyWay.... 'Bout welding the frame.

Where are you and where, is it broke, and how did it happen...????

9. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

I'm assuming he was saying a mill (in his case a Bridgeport) could make another mill. He never said it could make another Bridgeport mill.

Be nice Max, this guy can make you anything to any tolerence you want. Y'all should get acquainted! Some of your R&D could be done within driving distance by a fellow "racer".

Hell go look under your GSXR 750. You already own some of his work!

10. Speedballer

Speedballer Banned

Re: AnyWay.... 'Bout welding the frame.

Never-crashed frame snapped from a near high-side :(

11. Renaissance man

Renaissance man Well-Known Member

Re: Re: AnyWay.... 'Bout welding the frame.

In that case use Duck Tape (Duck for you...Duct for anyone else :D).

Sounds like Gobert was riding your bike...:D

Last edited: May 6, 2002
  12. BoyRacer549

BoyRacer549 I was a Spider Monkey!

i would just gas weld it like jessie james does his gas tanks...i trust those not to leak...Dont you RACEDAD..i mean come on every one knows that he TOUCHES the tank that means it wont leak ....:rolleyes:

13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

BR549, you suck! :)

14. Litespeed

Litespeed Rocket Scientist

Find someone on your area that specializes in welding aluminum. An aerospace manufacturing facility would be your best bet most likely. I am not a welder but my understanding is that aluminum can be severely weakened if welded incorrectly (too much heat around the weld). Depending on the severity of the crack, you may also want to add gussets if feasible to keep it from happening again. And lastly, if you are in doubt of the repair don't take a chance, get a different frame.

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Ostrich Rancher?

If that is your true occupation, we could trade welding for Ostrich Burgers or Boots. :)

16. Speedballer

Speedballer Banned

Re: Ostrich Rancher?

:p

17. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Holy !$!@$, Speedie, did that happen during your near highside (for now known as a Gobert) @ Gateway?

18. drebv4

drebv4 Well-Known Member

Be sure to disconnect the ground wire from the frame before welding AND unplug the ICM (to be safe). Otherwise you'll be replacing the black box and perhaps a few other electronic components from the jolt they get when welding.

Dreb

19. mad brad

mad brad Guest

dreb, shouldn't you be defending yourself on my speed channel thread?:D

20. drebv4

drebv4 Well-Known Member

From what?

I get a bit weary of people raging against the machine that brings them coverage of every race on the planet that can afford to be shown. A mistake was made in Charlotte and likely won't happen again. We were doing the business at Sears Point for ya, right? Jeez...

Dreb