1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wearing authentic military jacket

Discussion in 'General' started by L8RSK8R, Apr 15, 2021.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I still wear the olive drab foul weather jacket that was issued to a much younger version of me a rather long time ago. I just like it. I don't let anyone else in the family wear it. I tell them they didn't earn it. I'm not sure if I'm really serious.

Chino52405 likes this.
  2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

IMO, it is not disrespectful unless trying to mislead.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    CR750 likes this.
  3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Another 5 pages before the end of the business day. :Pop:

R Acree likes this.
  4. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

So, some of you would grief my daughter for wearing my utility cover to the beach. Like she does. Because she's proud of her father and her brother..

CR750 and L8RSK8R like this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

to make racing less expensive for novices ;)

Sabre699 and Wheel Bearing like this.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I see it as most others here do...don't go out in a full dress uniform unless you are currently or previously issued said uniform. Casual BDU's etc, who cares.

7. Shuma-gorath

Shuma-gorath Well-Known Member

Here is a question then about the EGA and bdu in general. My grandfather (ww2) and father (vietnam) gave me many a bdu hat and shirt with the EGA on it. Does that mean I shouldn't be wearing them since I didn't serve? Same thing when my brother was in the army. I have lots of acu shirt and pants I got from him that I wear as outside work clothes.
    I think family members should be ok.

8. speedluvn

Seems like that would depend on the overzealous person who would challenge you for wearing uniform piece

9. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

This is sort of like adults wearing college jerseys from schools they never attended. Why, is all I can ask.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If the Army sells it as surplus, I can't imagine they would have a problem with someone wearing it. IMHO

rd400racer and Raceless man like this.
  11. speedluvn

Have you seen YT videos how some veterans call out civilians that should not be wearing the uniform?

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm a veteran (peace time) and am in no way gung ho about vet status. I don't even like to admit that I'm a vet, since I never carried a firearm. That said, when I think of all the brave people that died while wearing that uniform, it doesn't sit well with me for just anyone to wear it for various benign reasons.

13. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen a few but only on stolen valor. Some are quite amusing when they start trying to talk the talk.

14. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Almost as if it were camouflaged!

15. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I had thought about a reproduction WWII military jacket with "in memory of" in place of the medals and insignias from my grandfather's service

Jedb likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That could be cool. I could see doing that just because grandpas tank destroyer patches are pretty damn cool too :D

cav115 likes this.
  17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

None of those guys should be forgotten and we are getting to a point where a big chunk of the population has never met a WWII veteran

Jedb likes this.
  18. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

This is the correct answer. I would prefer that those showing support for a particular military branch display the applicable symbols on none uniform items, but if no disrespect or misrepresentation is intended, then no offense should be taken. But I'm still not loaning any of you my old foul weather jacket.

rd400racer likes this.
  19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

First off, I'd like to welcome myself back to the Beeb. How y'all been? :D

There's no doubt in my military mind that if you're wearing G.I.Issue gear for its utility, function, quality, etc., then, by all means, have at it.
    If you're wearing it as a fashion statement, not so much.

I routinely wear BDU trousers, an EGA boonie and combat boots. They serve a function. I do not, nor will I, ever wear knock-offs. MilSpec is the best shit on the planet, except for Propper...that's the worst shit ever made with a MilSpec rating.

20. speedluvn