1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water freezing quickness question...

Discussion in 'General' started by Wade Parish, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Wade Parish

Wade Parish North Central Hawker

So, if I use a pressure washer in my driveway right now - 3:00pm, 35 degrees F - and the temp doesn't get back down to freezing until just before dark - 6:00pm, 31 degrees F - do you think it'll all just drain into the sewer by then and be fine or am I making an icy mess for my neighbors that live down hill from me?
    I was gonna ask this on the Facebooks but those people are stupid.
    It's gonna be pretty sunny for the rest of the day if you think that matters much.

Thanks in advance!

Wade

2. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

The answer will depend on the humidity rate, thus determining how fast the residual water that didn't run off will evaporate.

Now go get me a beer. :D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If you do this make sure there are at least 3 hours for it to dry out and that all of the drains this water will run into are clear of debris and snow. Even with that you could be leaving icy spots in any low / flat areas, but those might be happening anyway. I know they will be happening around here overnight.

Personally I wouldn't try it, but I would love to know how it works out for you so go for it!:D

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

F the neighbors!! As long as you can go is all that matters!!

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Likely "icy mess". Go for it!

6. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Asphalt or concrete? If it has been sunny and the driveway is asphalt you should be good to go.

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Wait a second...why is everyone walking past the elephant in the room.

A guy from Florida is telling a guy from Indy about freezing.

Come on Dits, the last time you saw anything frozen was the cubes you put in your Mai Tai!

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

worse yet, he considers the advice "billable hours"

9. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Ditz is just hoping the ice will cause a crash so he can follow the ambulance there.

10. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

im gonna go with giant ice rink since only the air is 35f, the ground has been well below freezing for weeks, the driveway will freeze the water you spray on it

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Driveway surface temp will depend on the sun and material too.

12. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Why are you wanting to pressure wash anything in 35 degree temps????

13. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Yep, exactly. Hence the asphalt or concrete question. My plow leaves about 1/8 inch of snow on my asphalt driveway, enough so you can't see the asphalt. Even if the air temp is in the upper teens, all it takes is one good sunny afternoon and it is completely clear and dry. If their weather was anything like Cincinnati today the water would have evaporated long before it froze.

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

A blacktop driveway is going to 10 to 15 degrees above background temp just due to solar heating. Go for it.

15. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Just pressure wash it with 50/50 premix.

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I would wait a day or two. We are supposed to get 1-3 more inches of snow tomorrow, then another chance of snow Saturday, then Sunday warming up….40-50s next week!

17. Jed

Jed mellifluous

What if it was 20 degrees and your hose to the pressure washer wasn't frozen. Could you make snow shooting that into the air?

18. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Yes, it would be just like a snow machine.

19. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Ideally, you should use a SteamJenny.

20. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

:Pop: No offense but those of us up here in the great frozen North are laughing at this cute discussion.
    :D