1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wasn’t sure we could do it again….

Discussion in 'General' started by rd49, Sep 11, 2021.

1. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

As some you may or may not remember we lost our girl Kimba a little over a month ago. We debated whether to get another dog as losing this one was particularly painful. This is the first time since the early 90s that we have not had at least one dog in the house. What we discovered was the silence of there not being a dog present was almost unbearable. When cutting up an apple or a carrot there was no dog sitting there to get a piece. Our house was not a home without a Lab Retriever being in the house. Tomorrow we make a couple hour drive down to WV to pickup a breeder’s retired female English Lab. She is yellow and 6 years old. This is a departure for us as we have always gotten a rescue or shelter Lab. Considering she will probably be our last dog(famous last words) we wanted a dog where we knew what it’s entire history was, something we have never know with all our previous pups.
    Say hello to Clover.
    upload_2021-9-11_15-23-38.jpeg

kangasj, Sprinky, DaveB and 14 others like this.
  2. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

She's gorgeous - congrats to you guys and to Clover!

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I know a good girl when I see one. The silence and the empty corners are unbearable. Congratulations.

Gorilla George and mattys281 like this.
  4. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

She is precious. We have an English Mastiff that came from a breeder and was her pick of the litter and at 6 months old became ill and she had 2 litters of pups at the same time and asked us if we would take him as she did not think he was going to make it and needed lots of care. Long story short he made it after 3 weeks of pure hell getting him through it. He is now 228 pounds and is as loving as any rescue you could ever get, we always say we rescued him from the breeder.
    You will be surprised how much love she will want and how attached she will become, You are both lucky to be getting each other

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know anything about breeders. What do they do if they "retire" a dog at the age of six and can't find it a good home?

6. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I believe in the case of this breeder they would just keep her. A number of other breeder sites I have been on they keep their retirees.

HPPT likes this.
  8. mattys281

mattys281 Banned

Congrats on the new addition to the family! She’s a pretty girl, looks like lots of good energy there too. I love labs, not sure if I’ll ever own another breed.

kangasj likes this.
  9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

My coworker and his wife breed chocolate labs. When they are retired from being bred, they first have them spayed.

Then they live a life of retired luxury as happy family dogs at their house.

They get almost $2k a puppy, so the Mom deserves at least that for doing all that work for them.

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Depends on the breeder and what they have room to accomodate. Good for you though...glad you are giving another one a home.

11. nigel smith

My border collie "dealer" has many repeat customers, and the retired dogs usually find a home with one of those families.

12. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

She looks awesome.

In '93 my wife bought a dalmatian as a counter purchase to a Ducati that I bought without her permission.

These dogs are stupid, right? When I started our farm, I began to keep him with me at work. He had few spots, so I would paint a black 3 on his sides. He was very smart, and obedient. Vet told me that he was one of the most muscular, in shape dogs he'd ever seen.

So much for her plan, the dog became my best friend. After he died, I haven't had another. He's buried on the farm. Fucking dogs. :(

13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

A good breeder doesn't have a issue finding a home for the dogs, most of the dogs are 2-6 and have only had a couple litters and there's normally a list of people waiting to take the dogs.
    Bad breeders have insane amounts of litters until the dog is about to die honestly, and then they do God only knows what with them

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Woof woof!

SundaySocial likes this.
  15. Pictures!!!!

16. nigel smith

If you give another dog a chance, he'll work his way into your heart. It's what dogs do.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  17. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I say get a second one and name him Crimson.

SundaySocial and sheepofblue like this.
  18. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

:)

19. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

“Something something” about unconditional love...
    Your news, makes our world, a happier place.
    We hope that you receive many years, and many smiles !

20. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

What he said.

Stop being a bitch and get another dog. With all due respect…. :D