1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warming up car

Discussion in 'General' started by DucatiBomber, Dec 31, 2016.

1. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

2. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Shouldn't do that with motorbikes, either.

3. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

While I don't neccessarily disagree, here in the frozen tundra, I think ATF, gear oils and other petro products in the engine bay benefit from a minute or 2 of engine heat and low load circulation before throwing it in gear. More than 5 minutes, yeah, that's probably counterproductive.

Although I do like a warm car, and in 30 years of owning cars, most of mine have gone 150,000 miles or more without any oil related failures.

crashman, Rich Graver and Repo Man 32 like this.
  4. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

More than few might be pissed when they realize that $300 remote start option wasn't worth it.

5. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I warm up the car for my sake and not the cars. I would rather be comfortable temperature wise than driving for a couple of minutes freezing.

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

OK, so here goes....I'm in the paddock with the bike at say 70F. I usually run the bike (it's FI by the way) to get it up to temp before heading down to pit-out and the subsequent start....Bad thing?

7. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Known this for years. Don't care, I'm not scraping ice at 4:30 in the morning and I like sitting down in a warm seat. Only thing I won't warm up is a diesel with a newer emissions system on it.

8. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Nope. I hit the remote start from my office when leaving work. By the time I get to the jeep, it's blowing warm air. I don't keep a car more than a few years and I didn't buy a jeep because I was concerned about mpg.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For me warming it up is all about warming me up. The RV even says don't let it idle a long time and warm up, just drive it.

noles19 likes this.
  10. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Back when I had to leave for work before dawn, I kept a 1000 watt convection heater on the passenger side floor of my car. During cold weather I parked the car every evening with the heater connected to a drop cord to my deck.

When I went out to get the morning paper, I plugged the drop cord into the outlet on the deck. By the time I was ready to leave, the car was warm and the frost was melted off the windows. If there was snow or ice, it was loosened enough to be brushed off.

When I left, I only had to disconnect the heater from the drop cord, start the car, and go, in a warm car with clear windows.

If I had been living in the Great Frozen North, I would have installed a block heater for the engine.

nitto182 and JJJerry like this.
  11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Some warm up of a diesel engine (especially if turbo) is a good idea, IMHO. A couple of minutes if it's winter, maybe a minute in the summer. Don't just jump in, hit the starter and start pulling that 20 ton 5th wheel. Use your block heater in the winter too. I keep mine plugged in to a remote switch so I turn it on as soon as I think I'm going to use the truck (winter only, of course).

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Have you seen gp teams warm their bikes up? I just copy what they do.
    Meaning don't let it idle, and warm it up like a two stroke, if the bike is completely cold you have to warm it some or it won't be up to temp by the time you get to your grid on a cold day imo

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

My garage stays at 40 or so even when it's below 0 outside. Insulated garage door and living space on 3/6 sides helps.

problem solved.

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

The engine tolerances on your bike are nothing like a motoGP bike.

Unless you're racing something that was never sold with headlights and turn signals, I wouldn't worry about warming it up more than 30-60 seconds to get the oil circulated.

Just my $.02

15. noles19

I just like to hear the sound though..

Pixelator and rk97 like this.
  16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Grew up in North Dakota. In high school, my car was parked outside.

On a normal January morning, I'd have frost on my windows 1/4 inch thick and it was more solid ice than just frost.
    So to fix that situation and save 20 minutes or more of chiseling ice off my windows we did this (school started at 8:30 am):

- About 6am my Mom, the early riser, would plug my cars block heater in to warm the oil
    - At night when I got home we draped old sheets over the front and rear windows the frost adhered to the sheets and we just peeled them off in the morning, shook the frost off them, and had clear windows with no scraping
    - When my Brother and I were ready, we'd get in the car and let it (1976 Dodge Monaco, think same car as in the Blues Brothers movie) idle for about a minute to get the oil/coolant/tranny fluids circulating then proceed.

It was maybe 10 minutes to school. Anything else was a waste.

Ken Mcdonald likes this.
  17. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

My truck is a leased company truck. It gets run before I get in no matter what the weather. Summer it is run to get the ac going, winter is heat. All I care about is my comfort.

crashman likes this.
  18. Heck yeah. I change my oil often enough with good stuff I'm not worried about this. Plus I don't keep cars long enough to really care, for me it's about comfort.

hotnail likes this.
  19. Your bike has no where near the clearances compared to a GP bike.

20. noles19

I know that's already been mentioned:crackup: