War Quotes

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ICE 301, Mar 31, 2003.

1. thuxley

thuxley Well-Known Member

Re: Mr. Powell

Urban legend?
    http://www.snopes.com/quotes/powell.htm

2. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

"If you have a nation of men who have risen to that height of moral cultivation that they will not declare war or carry arms, for they have not so much madness left in their brains, you have a nation of lovers, of benefactors, of true, great and able men. Let me know more of that nation; I shall not find them defenseless, with idle hands springing at their sides. I shall find them men of love, honor and truth; men of an immense industry; men whose influence is felt to the end of the earth; men whose very look and voice carry the sentence of honor and shame; and all forces yield to their energy and persuasion. Whenever we see the doctrine of peace embraced by a nation, we may be assured it will not be one that invites injury; but one, on the contrary, which has a friend in the bottom of the heart of every man, even of the violent and the base; one against which no weapon can prosper; one which is looked upon as the asylum of the human race and has the tears and the blessings of mankind."

3. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

who said it???

4. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

"You can't lock the lion in a silver cage and expect him to be thankful for the shelter you have made."

The Badlys

Many many men feel this way and rightfully so. You may or may not believe in God or Jesus Christ but as of late it has been comforting to look at Christ as a warrior, which he was. Not always the angelic face society shows us!

5. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

Great book out there titled "Wild At Heart" for those of you that may wonder about a man's natural tendancies.

6. thuxley

thuxley Well-Known Member

Other than getting mad at the moneychangers in the temple, what other warrior-like behavior did Christ show? Not disputing your point , just unaware.

7. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

Mental and emotional warrior as well as a physical one. Healing on the sabbith, denouncing the priests, 30 days in the wilderness with only satin, could you have stood up for who you were in the situations he was put in? How about the crucifixion. I'm by not means a Biblical scholar but those things seem like they would have taken a warriors heart not a wimps heart like so many of us have today because we have been told to fit in. We have given our strength up willingly in many cases because it's the easy way. Women have picked up our slack for to long. Look at most churches, who is doing the work. Why do your young boys feel out of place in the church, Because there is no training for them there. They are lions and inherently know it. Not offence to the ladies you have done a great job but can't teach the boys to be men, if we don't start doing it society will continue as is. Sorry for the rant.:cool:

8. Mongrel

Mongrel Hell Hath No Fury

And we will call them slaves for the next conquering force.

Rose-colored glasses, rose-colored glasses. You sicken me.

9. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

"You sicken me."

Nice. Real nice. But it isn't my quote. I think that you more accurately are sickened by the author.

10. SpongeBob WeaselPants

the feeling is MORE than mutual :D

11. SpongeBob WeaselPants

DAD, I rather lked it, who the hell is the author?

12. Mongrel

Mongrel Hell Hath No Fury

No you sicken me. I have read plenty of the tirades you have gone into. You use a quote about a utopian society only to further your anti-war stance. You keep using the freedoms granted to you by the blood of nation that has long understood the price for any freedom is high, but not for you, you just wish to have all the benefits and none of the costs.

As I said you sicken me.

13. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

OK. I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

You have every right to be sickened by people who disagree with you. It has no impact on my beliefs one way or another.

14. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

end the suspense...Ralph Waldo Emerson

15. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Oops, sorry. I forgot to put it on the quote. I'll go back and fix it.

16. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

"Thou shalt not kill."

- The only authority.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2003
  17. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

A good rule, if both sides will abide by it.

See Ya,

Darrin Talbott

18. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Rules of conscience are not conditional.

19. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

In this case, the rule has to be conditional. If you, as an individual, abide by this rule and the other guy does not, only you lose your life. If a society follows this rule and another society does not, the entire society loses.

My dad always told me not to gamble with what I was afraid to lose. I think, in this case, we as a society cannot afford to gamble that Iraq will behave.

See Ya,

Darrin Talbott

20. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

Cease fire, cease fire. It's time to go read Mongo's rules of engagement.;)