1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIR track changes

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jan 6, 2022.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

I'm sure the kids will love the ride to school

2. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

Yeah and while air fence makes that better, you need distance to make sure the rider and the bike have enough time to split away from each other.

cpettit and BigBird like this.
  3. Ducati89

As long as you dont cheat and use warmers:D

baconologist likes this.
  4. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

I was there last summer doing Full and it took forever to set up the airfence. I can't imagine how long it will take now!

5. Ducati89

Yeah thats another thing. Im sure it would take a solid day to get adequate deployment of that fence and time is already pressed for track days and race weekends.

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I would like to know which race directors they talked to about it

baconologist likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

None ... They trying to get spectator revenue....they don't care about the details.

Ducati89 likes this.
  8. noles19

Well they answered on Facebook that they had talked to race directors so that's why I'm curious

9. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

so car people can win track days too?

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  10. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Makes sense. If you make it so no one on a motorcycle will turn a wheel then they can’t get hurt at that track! Perfect logic!

BigBird likes this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

and you, mother f@cker! You! You've ruined bar-b-que forever by doing your stuff at VIR. Another brother from another mother I met face to face at that place. :D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  12. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Not trying to be stupid, but what's the difference between the walls at Daytona and this new fence at VIR?

13. Ducati89

Not everyone goes to Daytona with as much frequency as they go to VIR.

BigBird and dtalbott like this.
  14. joec

joec brace yourself

him fulfilling his lost wager. one of the funniest things ive ever seen. man we had some great times at vir. i loved that place. never figured it out totally. tex mawby wandering around dressed up like a 70s superhero/daredevil on his stingray and everyone asking who that freak is. and the march event in line with daytona and roebling....jesus you could race more in that 3 week stretch than you could the entire rest of the summer. it is the only place ive ever actually seen dave k.

15. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I have no idea what you are talking about. I was in town playing bingo the whole time.
    Except for the 20 minutes I spent working on the Barney bike when you came and grabbed me.

dtalbott likes this.
  16. noles19

To me it's more comparable to the back straight at Road Atlanta. but honestly more people crash at vir in the kink and a lot more going into turn one. And it just seems not needed to be there

dtalbott and BigBird like this.
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Pulling into Darin's shop at opening, hurriedly making small talk with Dad and the guy with the jerry curl, running up to Darrin and whispering (turns out shouting 'cause) "where's the bathrrom, gotta poop. Bad, Now!" :crackup:

pulling up to Buck, getting out and having him yell out "Dave, Gimme some love!" <in my Raymond Pettibone voice> "The large, scary blackman wants to have sexual intercourse with me." and his reaction. :crackup:

Holy f@ck, love that place.

dtalbott likes this.
  18. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Because it is better to hit wall that is close than one that is far away. I hit wall at Sears and am glad it was just few feet from track surface. Cars spin and shoot in any direction, they don't follow path of travel.
    No wall at all is good if enough room but if there is wall closer the better for cars.

19. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

This is what happened when wall is 100' away :)

Attached Files:

20. noles19

Which to me is why this doesn't make much sense. this is going to be like 200 feet off track and about the same distance to the tree line.. so really I don't see what it's helping, if they wanted to really do something they would put gravel traps in but they don't want that bill probably.

dave3593 likes this.