1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Rules for 2018 Bikes not points

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by kenessex, Oct 6, 2017.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I got my 1000 cc Ironhead sportster running this summer, so I am going to safety wire it like I do all my bikes, in case I decide I should race it.
    Sean, can you change the rules for V3 so they allow any Ironhead sportster. Currently the class is limited to the 883.

Thanks

And don't mess this thread up with the stupid points thing about 120points and the GNF winner take all bs that none of us except the 3 guys that care are interested in. This thread is about bikes and rules and stuff, so keep you points blah blah blah out of it. I mean it, keep out.

stickboy274 likes this.
  2. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Or race it in v4 , and not change rules .... always someone wants rules change to suit them.....

lanehammond likes this.
  3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

"All Vintage Racers, first call for practice."

"All Vintage Racers, second call for practice."

"All Vintage Racers...C'mon, you came all the way from Alaska to race, get out there."

Still top ten funniest things I've heard at the track.:D

Hey Ken!

joec likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay - other than just because you have one - why should we bump the displacement? What happens if people show on bored out 883's?

lanehammond likes this.
  5. kenessex

Hey, this isn't just about me. I already have bikes that fit into V1, V2, V4 and V5 already, plus the SV650. I don't know the original rationale for having the limit at 883, but it doesn't fit any particular year that is transitional or anything. I don't think there is any appreciable difference in performance between the 883 and the 1000, and they are certainly like design. I don't know whether it would bring in any new bikes or not, but it would not limit them. Again, I won't be racing it in the near future, but I like to have the possibility.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not saying it is about you - I'm asking the questions I have to think about when trying to figure out legality - and it's even harder in Vintage with all the different bikes. I'm just saying you are thinking about it because you do have one, that's different than wanting me to change rules because you want your bike to win, different mindset :D

Anyway, agree on the design, just need to make sure upping the limit to 1k or specifically allowing that bike won't hurt the class.

7. kenessex

I am just figuring if I am going to build a fun motor, I need to know what to build. The 1000 stuff is way easier and cheaper to find and there are a few changes they made to some castings that make them less fragile.

Mark, shut-up!!!:beer:

8. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Since the thread was started.

What about extending V7MW up to the last of the carb bikes?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That would include the 98/99 Kawi 600 and it's too fast for the others. It would drastically change the class.

10. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Giving an iron had 117 more cc will not make it any more competitive. Like he said just more parts availability.
    As a matter fact… If you allow this mongo you should require a larger than normal belly pan to not only catch fluid but parts as well… :)

Killswitch, yamageezer and V5 Racer like this.
  11. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    But i would let in carb Gsxr 600.
    Those are not heads up a better bike than f3 we are racing now and it would help out more bikes on grid.

Steven Isenhower #52

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The GSXR was faster than the F3 at the time - why wouldn't it be faster now?

13. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Actully now they werent.
    A ZX6R was faster than both.
    I know caused i own them.
    And out ran a bunch.
    Now a Team Vavoline bike had kits parts in it and i still beat Josh And Grant whe. They came to race with us at Cmra.
    And not many left that have good parts for them.
    And in 2012 i raced against Nicky Haydens old 97 600 at Cmra.
    And thats was a full on Hyper Cycle bike with a superbike motor.
    Just what kind of bikes you think we are racing against?
    Hell me and JT are probably only bikes on grid that are 600s that dont have HRC parts on bike.
    A couple of ex AMA HRC bikes are being raced
    Or are not an ex Muzzy factory bike.
    So point is they still are not a leap and id let them in V7.
    Still have to ride them now dont they.
    And i do have video of me racing Nickys old bike on YouTube.
    My turd was right there.
    And Wera guys are way ahead in motor department than me when i showed up.
    Food for thought.

Steven Isenhower #52

14. kenessex

Is it too fast if that and an F3 are both built to the extent of the class rules?
    If it were a SS class, that would be one thing.

15. lanehammond

lanehammond Well-Known Member

The all carb bike rule would make a 2002 r6 legal which I'm sure is performance index is in favor of the r6 vs a f3

16. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

how so under superbike rules?
    it's still limited to +2 overbore. So 636cc, ~110hp. But everyone gets the same engine build rules. And everyone is limited to the same timing / fuel controls (carbs) as everyone else. Suspension is free, wheel width is free, is the R6/ZX6 frame design that much superior to the F3, FZR, GSXR?
    I honestly don't know since I wasn't paying attention back then.

Then as Steven said, ya still gotta ride it....

17. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Yes they are that different.
    And nobody follows rules like SS in vintage.
    Shrad GSXRs is only bike id let in with current bikes.
    They raced at same time and i know the level of prep and power bikes make.
    98 ZX6R was a game changer with chassis and motor.
    I quit racing 600s and Sprints in 98 full time.
    Just did endurance from 98 till 2000.
    Then took up vintage on my VFR 750.
    But when i came back in 2011 i raced against Nicky Haydens old 97 Shrad with Cmra and it was built.
    And me and guy swapped wins all season.
    He had motor on me on long tracks and after i did some work on mine i could match him on power.
    When i showed up at Wera i found out how under powered i was.
    98 up Kawi and the R6 are way better bikes as Are F4 and Suzukis.
    So id just add Shrad 600 carb model to help get guys on grids and i feel that bikes we have are still not out classed.
    A buddy just picked 2 97 600s for 500$ so they are cheap and out there.
    And A few Cmra guys are running them.
    Take care.

Steven Isenhower #52

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, pretty large jump in tech/speed.

VFR#52 likes this.
  19. lateapexer

lateapexer Local slow poke

So if I read correctly the 2006 (3rd gen) R6 will be legal for V8 MW next year. My question is since that bike was made for a decade ( 2006-2016) how in the hell is a 2016 bike modern vintage? Or, if only the 2006-2007 bikes are legal how could you tell since they all look basically the same?

20. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Only the 06-07 is allowed as they changed a ton of stuff in 08 - frame, intake, etc.

As far as being able to tell, the year stamp on the frame. Other than that, it's no different than the whole racing a 750 in the 600 class, as they both look exactly the same as well.

But yeah, in 2020, you'll be able to race the 2016 R6 in the V8 class...a 4 year old bike eligible for Vintage. I brought that up before, I'll save you the time of looking for it, but the response is "there's not enough entries for it to be of concern anyways"