Vintage miter saws

Discussion in 'General' started by speedybee43, Nov 7, 2012.

1. speedybee43

speedybee43 Well-Known Member

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/3323229789.html

Anybody into vintage miter boxes. I'm going to look at this one tomorrow and I was wondering if there is anything i should look for in particular. It appears to be Stanley No. 2358A and ive read that the uprights that hold the saw have bearing that are almost irreplaceable if they are missing. Any other pitfalls to look for. My plan is to use the saw, not restore

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

I can tell you I used one for a few years. Also, you have the most bizarre fetish I've yet to encounter

3. speedybee43

4. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

I guess I'm unsure of your purpose. Are you trying to trim out on the cheap or do you enjoy working with old tools. This seems caught center of those two.

5. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

Hey man, it's uncool to get down on another dudes fetish.

6. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Ageed ,but these are uncharted waters. The intentions remain unclear as well.

7. speedybee43

I have a compound sliding miter saw but now I'm having to build in my garage at night so I want to move to hand tools. Cant run the saw at night once the kids go to sleep. I have one of the cheap plastic miter boxes now but it limits the wish of material I can cut.

What would you recommend? I'm open to new miter boxes also. I mainly will be cutting 1x and 2x stock.

8. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

I see. Cant offer much other than I trimmed out thousands of feet in the early eighties with the Stanley

9. racertex

racertex vintage dude

Ask Joec....i'm sure he'll write a manifesto about it, and delve off into a rant about another family member that asked him to buy them pot

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

11. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

I am pretty sure I have an old craftsman I would be willing to sell.

12. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

hands saws

looks good to me. you can't go wrong with good hand tools. I can set and sharpen those if they need it. I worked construction for 25 yrs . just do my own ( and family) work now. I even have a foley bellsaw sawmill 46 inch blade . now that will make some sawdust quickly . all the best. bill and darethea