1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video of monticello racetrack

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by r_mutt, May 13, 2009.

1. r_mutt

r_mutt cookie puss

2. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Just released photo of pre-ride preparation:

[​IMG]

3. CHUCKTOWN26

CHUCKTOWN26 Well-Known Member

Track looks very fun.

4. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

Sure if a high speed introduction with Armco is your idea of fun.

Hey to each his own, but that place flat out scares me on a motorcycle

5. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

How many laps did you do and on which course?

6. YZFBeliever

NONE!!!

I will not a ridea motorcycle there.

As I said, everyone has to determine their own level of risk tolerance, that place exceeds mine.

And my understanding is (correct me if I am wrong) that Nesba and STT both cancelled their dates there after they walked (or rode, not sure) the site.

7. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

8. STT-Rider

We postponed/cancled our dates based on NESBA's comments. (I chose to err on the side of caution...) until we could invest an entire day at the facility riding all three course layouts and speaking with management about any perceived and real safety issues and possible fixes. We spent all day Monday there, including riding well over 100 laps on every couse in both directions (thats basically six layouts) We disagree with some of the aformentioned orgs comments. Example, the gaps under the armco are a result of the final grade not having been brought up to the prescribed level. Not a difficult fix. Are there other issues yes? Are we working with the owners to address them? Yes. We'll wait and see what happens.

The Video posted does not allow perspective on how the armco does or does not affect motorcycle run-off area(s). Lets look at Barber, Mid-Ohio, Road America and especially BeaverRun... all have armco which is right next to the track. The end of the back straight at Beaver is pretty stupid actually but we all run there....albiet only once a year now for STT. Road America has a concrete wall as the "run-off" on the their front straight.... one of the fastest anywhere....video is no replacement for seat time and actual thorough on-site inspection.

We at STT have a good record for safety and venue selection. Examples... We would not run at Blackhawk until lots of tress (in the) and run-off areas were removed..we still do not run at Nelsons Ledges (I just don't like that place and ownership has it privileges).... Heartland Park... basically a concrete jungle when we went there plus management that was (at the time..don't know about now) insensitive to motorcycle safety and refused to honor their contractual obligation to make the track safe for us, GingerMan backwards.... Iowa Speedway...I believe the Moto ST fiasco unfortunately supported our decision to not ride there..... Shannendoah...nope.

With this said, other org(s) feel that the aforementioed venues are just peachy. That is their opinion and that is indeed just fine with me, honestly. They have good safety records and I respect their choices so I'm not down on them, they are just choices that differ from ours/mine based on their opinions and needs.

9. 1qwik6?

1qwik6? Well-Known Member

A vid link...OH NOES!

10. YZFBeliever

All fair comments, my genuine hope is that at some point the location meets MY level of comfort, because the layout is fantastic.

Kudos to each organization for their due diligence, safety is key!

11. CHUCKTOWN26

CHUCKTOWN26 Well-Known Member

No argument there, but the track sure does look fun.

12. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Thanks for the details Monte. Good to hear that you invested the time to actually ride the track rather than just basing it on a home video.

Are you able to post what these changes are that you've asked for? Is it something that tires or hay bails can overcome, or are they construction items?

You're absolutely right about stepping back and taking a look at the tracks we currently run in the US. Walls/Armco are everywhere and a lot closer than we like to remember.

13. soderholmd

soderholmd Banned

Why are tracks not built here (in the USA) that are similar to European tracks (Sans Miller)? AKA - Wide / Safe / flowing........

It sure seems to me that the popularity of trackdays would allow more rider friendly tracks to be made. I understand that the AMA has dismantled the professional motorcycle racing in the US, but come'on.........

14. STT-Rider

(Heavy Sigh......) One is that the pubic does not embrace motorsports here like they do overseas...which results in less dollars availible for track builds and improvements. Two is that many older tracks are confined by land issues (Mid-Ohio and Road America) that prevent expansion or run-off improvements. Three is that bikes and car perfomance envelops have exceeded track designs. Hell might as well toss this in.... A certain designer (who will remain unnamed) who was in-vogue for a few years, in my opinion basically used a T-Square to design corners it seems..very few of his track designs posess clasic flow and "rhythm" if you will. He also never quite figured out that pit-in's and out's didn't have to been hard left turns into the racing line and point at the wall so you'll solw down evolutions respectively. He made one or two of each that are acceptable but none that are outstanding IMO. WTF is wrong with a classic "get up to speed and blend in" entry evolution like Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Putnam, Road America, etc.?

That was a mini-rant..but I speak from the experience of riding on every one of the designs he did and about 35 that he didn't.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Gee, wonder who you're talking about .. Agreed on nearly all accounts.

Nelson is another track on topic in that regard. While walking the track last weekend, we could see the big creek that winds all the way from the exit of the carousel down the back straight. Taking on that task of filling/re-routing that would be no small and/or inexpensive feat.

And for this track specifically, they are clearing trees past the entrance to the carousel, which could lead one to believe they plan on reshaping/re-apexing that corner to give more run-off where they can. Hey, at least they're doing something - which is more than many.

16. Well, the part about the pit lanes, I have to agree with... some of his designs are less than stellar in that respect, but as far as flow and rhythm, I must disagree. Barber and Miller are considered two of the best tracks in the country.

Here is a list of the tracks he has designed (so much for remaining nameless): http://www.wilsonmotorsport.com/public_html/code/maps.htm

Many of these have great flow. I have ridden Beaver Run, Barber, and CMP, and aside from the last section of CMP, they have great flow. I have also heard that Mt. Tremblant, and Calabogie flow very well.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Miller is one of the best tracks in the world not just the US so I'd say if you give Alan the freedom to do what he wants he can build a track as good if not better than anything else out there.

There is a lot more to the design of a track than you see on the surface, there are a lot of compromises that have to be reached with the land, the owners, etc...

As for this track - based on the video I'd never ride it. There needs to be a lot more changes than grading but that's me. Watkins Glen looks cool too but isn't viable for bikes even at a track day.

18. STT-Rider

The East track pit out at Miller is still silly having to hide behind tire walls and the "go for it" is dumb...but that's the product of a twin track design compromise. A big flat site was a big help for sure...at BeaveRun and Barber he had to fold the layouts into the available land. To bad he didn't "want to" a little more, maybe he'd still have some gigs over here.

19. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

Monte - That's not what you said previously. And you were the one who mentioned armco issues. Did you ride it in April or not? Just confused by your inconsistent statements & trying to sort out wheat from chaff as a potential customer.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=211990 (post #13)

20. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

If road racing was as popular as baseball and basketball combined, then you'd see better tracks here. Next time you can fill a road course with 100,000 people (at once), then someone will find to economics viable in the US to build better tracks/facilities. Until then, NASCAR and ball sports will get the lion's share of the dollars.

Anyone know if Miller and Barber are in the black yet? That's recouping the initial investment, upkeep and making a profit.

In terms of pit out, I never realized it could be so effortless until I rode Mid-Ohio. Wow!