Veteran's Day

Discussion in 'General' started by Yzasserina, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

My dad was a gunner in B 24 and B 17s
    Went over after D Day, barely made it back to base during Market Garden (tossed out everything but their boots), did his missions, went back to Minneapolis and met my mom.
    Not bad for a boy from the farthest prairie s of MN

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

My dad was also in Operation Market Garden. But he jumped out of airplanes. If I drank, it would have earned me a few free beers when I was in The Netherlands.

Once a Wanker.. and Triple X like this.
  3. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

In awe of/by those guys.
    I can’t imagine living outside for > 400 days in Northern Europe, much less being able to think, move and ‘fight a good fight’.
    (Salute !)

YamahaRick and FastByKids like this.
  4. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I can’t even relate to what the bomber guys had to face. Much respect!

5. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

upload_2021-11-12_10-4-31.jpeg
    My Dad enlisted in General George Patton’s 8th Armored Infantry Regiment, his freshman year of college. Crewed a tank during Battle of the Bulge, and drove it off an L.S.T, on to the beaches of Normandy. Endured horrible winter conditions in Belgium and France. Liberated prisoners from a sub-camp of Auschwitz, knocking the fences and walls down with their tank.

Wouldn’t talk much about it. Was invited to go back for a reunion on the 50th anniversary of D-Day, and I offered to take he and my Mom. He said “I didn’t want to be there the first time. Why would I go back now?”

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Might have known my grandpa, he followed a very similar path. After seeing the movie as a kid, I asked him if Patton really was an SOB. He said yeah, we all hated him but respected him just the same.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It's because of MEN like him that I get a weird feeling inside when people tell me, "Thank you for your service."

I fixed submarines & made an aircraft carrier go putt-putt across the ocean, and spent a whole lot of time drunk off my ass, met a whole lot of awesome people that I'm friends with to this day, and got to play with some of the baddest toys on the planet. Never was I in any mortal danger from anyone but myself.

I feel somehow that I'm stealing the honor that these men earned.