1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

v1-2-3 wera vs ahrma

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by K George, Dec 14, 2002.

1. K George

K George Well-Known Member

lookn over the wera rules vs ahrma . wera v1-2 is most compable with ahrma. f 250,f500,f750 steamlining ,mods ect. but wera does not permit disk front brake,? in v1-2 . ahrma does! ahrma class sportsman doesnt allow any fairings or mods. my point is for example cb 350 guys wera v1-2 have fairngor can mods motor but will be at adisavantage f250,500 because of the drum rule.v-1-2 is ruled manly by cb350s and they made more with disks than with out..... A lot of bikes that fit in vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv1-2 pre73 had a disk . seems silly to keep the drum front rule any longer in v1-2 its more costly to switch it out to a drum when it came with a disk. and still cant run ahrma sportsman because of mods or rairings . lets hear some feed back on this what do you guys think??????????????????????

2. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

im for going to disc, but its too late to submit a rule change though. unless the wera vintage director would rule on it. drums are getting pretty expensive.

3. K George

amen brother. im building a v1-2 bike and the front end is going to be the most expensive thing when i have a disk set on the bike already unless i stick some junk stocker on its though the roof for a good one

4. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Sorry but I'd have to disagree with the statement that most 350s came with a disc front. I've owned several since the 80s and never had one with a disc... all had drum. My favorite bone yard has over 20 350s lying around but I have only seen a couple with discs.

Actually I think WERA V1 and V2 are closer to AHRMA's Sportsman classes it's just that WERA allows fairings. The CB350 runs in V1 and V2 with WERA and Sportsman 350 and 500 with AHRMA.. those are the classes where it's seen the most. Its my understanding that V1 and V2 were intended for street going bikes built before a particular year... most of which were originally fitted with drums, hence the drum rule.

One thing people don't understand about WERA Vintage is that we are an organization offering classes where even street based "hot rods" have a chance to race. This means that someone who owns an old CB, XS, RD or whatever can build it up into a competent machine, take it racing and not have to bother with going into debt campaigning a period and purpose built racer.

5. K George

maybe thats true about the drums on cbs the ones around still on the street i see have disks. my gt250 has a disk its v1-2 legal and it has to come off.. this means the front end too unless i rig it im not in to rigging a brake on my race bike. its either front end and drum. or run ahrma with the bone stock disk.....

6. K George

wera v1-2=fairing,strokingboring,rims18.2.75 drums ahrma f250-500=fairing,strokingboring.rims18 .2.75disk ahrmasportsman=no fairing,nostroking.rims18.2.25drum whats wrong with this picture!!!!!!!!!!!

7. K George

ps. the cut off dates for all of the above are the same!!!

8. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

well....are you with us or aginus???????????

9. Jim Swartout

Jim Swartout Well-Known Member

K George makes some good points regarding the rules.

My observation of watching and racing in the classes
    identified are as follows:

The same bikes run Wera Vintage V1 & V2 also run AHRMA
    350 Sportsman & 500 Sportsman. The main bike is the
    CB350 Honda twin which requires a drum brake because
    of the both organizations rules. The stroke is not an
    issue because of the cc size can be reached with
    over sized pistons.

AHRMA Formula 250 & 500 class has mainly highly modified Yamaha two-strokes and very few CB350s or etc.

Most front ends are changed because of the allowable
    fork size is larger than came standard on the smaller bike.
    Change out the front end from a larger bike to get to
    the 36mm max. There are three stock front drum brakes
    that work well which will match up to the front forks.
    I believe most racers are changing the front end even
    if the bike started with a drum.

Very few V1 & V2 bikes run fairings except at high speed
    tracks. I agree that V1 & v2 rules are closer to the Formula
    classes, but in reality the bikes are running V1/V2 and
    AHRMA Sportsman classes.

I personally would like to see Wera Vintage stay with
    drum brake rule to run my sportsman bikes. I believe this
    is the majority, but take a poll.

10. Jim Swartout

Jim Swartout Well-Known Member

I am curious about the front end being more expensive
    than building a competitive engine? How much is
    the front end compared to the cost of building the engine?

Thanks

11. K George

lol..... i did some checkn and the cb 350 was made for six years three with drum and three with disk and did have a disk before the v1-2 cutoff date so any year cb disk would be legal.and cheap to get proubly get the whole front end at salvage or ebay for under 75 dollors .versus 1000 for a drum setup wheel respoke front end and levers cables on and on. that would stop as good or better than. one of the vintage brake and wheel companys thats if you went cheap you can spend as much as 1500 for a top doller 4ls drum from britech .so the cheap way and affordable is to let v1-2 guys run the stock disk .i understand that gp vintage with much earller cut off dates need to go this route to stay period but why makw racers take off disks for expensive aftermaket drum setups it turns into a money battle for braking . between racers with there other wise legal bikes that came with disks makes know sence to me . ahrma sees it this way why not wera if it meets the cut off date and had disk you should beable run it there were 10 bikes in v1-2 class at the gnf all cb 350 running drum brakes some of theme probly had had big bucks in there front brake hubs, and some were running 70 71 stock hubs . when we all could run72 and 3 disks, and when we do a ahrma race we would have the same as them . most v1-2 bikes cant run sportsman due to mods or f airings anyway we must run the the more compadable f250,500 class and ahrma regulars will be running disks be cause they can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. K George

jim i see your side ! but if you dont want to safty wire and stick a tturkey pan under your motor and go racing then theres a nother side vintage body work and a bike that looks like a racebike of the early seventes .is what im building i cant run sportsman.wouldnt want too .i want a bike bike that looks like arace bike thats just me i understand the otheer side too.and when i go between wera ahrma its f250 , 500 im running a gt 250 suzuki i geuss i should just order the 1500 4ls hub and shutup by the way ive got got 1000 in my to the max motor and if the rules stay the same ill have 2000 plus in the front end and brakes.

13. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Kevin,

My XS650 is allowed to run V3 with double front discs and a fairing if I chose to fit them. But in that trim I am forced to enter AHRMA's Formula 750 and race against XR750s which have a clear advantage and are actually a WERA V4 bike or I could remove the fairing and one disc (thereby compromising braking efficiency) so that I can enter 750 Sportsman.

You try to make sense of WERA Vintage rules from an AHRMA point of view. It just won't work. Try to make sense of AHRMA's rules with a WERA point of view and things don't quite translate perfectly either. The point I'm trying to make is that we are different organizations who have established our rules according to what we feel benefits the majority of our members. Your household rules work for you and mine work for me. Neither are right or wrong. They are merely what work best for us.

I will gladly take you up on your invitation to join you and your friends in your home for some friendly competition. I will not question your house rules or expect you to justify them if they are not like mine... but I will expect the same of you. ;)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2002
  14. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

Stop reading this thread and start preparing your bikes for next season- read the rules and see you or not....
    ;)

Buff

15. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

I see v-1 almost the same as 350 sport - fairings. V-2 the same as 500 and so on.YOU won't see fairing at NF because it's no advantage.A drum brake is in the spirit of the class v-1 v-2 350 500 .If you would think of doing more work your self instead of buying a high doller drum you could come up with a good one for a couple hundred .I dont know of anyone who has changed there stroke in v-1-2 ,so they can run ahrma.Agood working drum is almost as good as a disc.I build my bikes to the rules an don't try to change them to fit my bike.;) Although I may push some rules to the limit !!!!!!!!:) TIM

16. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

WERA vs AHRMA

The same types of issues exist between the WEAR/AHRMA 2-stroke classes with respect to reedvalves and wheel sizes, but AHRMA is the more conservative rule set in this case.. I Tried to get the rules unified but it was when Jack Turner was in charge, the reply was less that supportive or understanding.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2002
  17. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

If it came with a disc brake run it with one. Why change the integrity of the bike and add extra expence. The Honda 350 was not the bike winning most 350 races back in the early 70's.

18. K George

i was merly tyrn to show that the currant bikes running in v1-2 all came with disks by the cut off date . and with the coming of joint events between wera ahrma might be better if the rules were closer to the samne as far as stop reading this thread statment goes i thought thats what the bbs is for issues like this .merly showing my point I will comform to the currant rules no problem s when i think of xintage racing i think of dick hammer,foyld emde. kenny roberts . barry sheen .ect, and the bikes they rode not metal fenders hinged seats. ive been a wera racer since 1984 and just the last couple of years started running selected v5 races when they fall on the modern weekends ill see you guys at the first ma weekend . with my gt and gs. both built with the rule book in hand .... and lookn like a real vintage bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. K George

fireball thats my point my bike came with a disk but the rules make you take them off. go figure!!!!

20. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Rules

WERA "Joint event" rules stipulate that the more liberal rule set will be applied, meaning to me that WERA will adopt the approptiate rule for a given class..