1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck Tires

Discussion in 'General' started by klebs01, Dec 18, 2009.

1. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

I got a flat tire tonight, so I need a new tire. The other three tires have a lot of tread left, but that model of tire has been discontinued. The tires are 305/50R20 on 20x10 rims (I think). The crappy thing is that the cheapest tires are around $300 in that size. I've been thinking about going back to stock size 16x8 rims and stock size tires but not sure if its worth it to go that route or not. Any suggestions on which whether to just get new tires or a whole new wheel/tire package?

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

why did you get flat? did you pickup a screw/nail? maybe get that patched at tire shop

3. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

The 16X8 size will give you lot's of options for tires.

I run 16X8 on my Jeep and have no complaints.

4. klebs01

Ran over something and there is a gash in it. I was on the interstate going about 75. The sidewall is pretty mangled. I just wouldn't feel safe with how deformed it is.

5. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Three words, Load range E

6. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

I think your tire quotes are a bit over priced for that tire.... I popped over to Discount Tire, and searched for your tire size. I used Detroit, MI area and NOVI as a location. Tires in that size start around $153 for a Kumho Ecsta STX, ok, but nothing great... For $160 you can get a Yokohama Parada Spec-X.

I would not freak out about running a different brand of tire on one wheel. If you are trying to save money, it's just appearance. If you are worried, put two like tires on one axle and keep one of the good tires as a spare.

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I'm a Kumho fan. :up:

8. klebs01

I went with the replacing both rears with the Falken on that page. They had it in stock and I need to drive to WI today. It should at least get me to the point where the fronts wear out. I think I may upgrade at that point. Thanks for the help.

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I had bad luck with those. Bought a set of those a few months ago and the car drove like it had flat tires and had to get them swapped out (for Kumhos), either the sidewalls were too soft or they had a bad belt. When I saw them on the Discount Tire page I almost said something.

10. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Check Tire Rack also. I got my Jeep tires there. Also, even though the tire is discontinued, you may be able to find one somewhere. I've done that myself.

Also, I understand not wanting to replace a $300 tire, but how much will you spend replacing all 5 with new rims. (unless you already have the rims). Even so, how much will 5 tires cost. Probably more than $300.

Switching back to stock is something to consider AFTER all 5 tires (rotate your spare in if it is full size) are worn out and need replacing.