Trailer Tires - Brand Advice?

Discussion in 'General' started by hatman, May 7, 2012.

1. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

Need to replace the tires on a Pace 6 x 12 enclosed trailer (205/75R15). Last two sets have been Goodyear STs. Only issue with those have been the price and the fact that my local Goodyear dealer says he can't control how "fresh" the tires are; my last set we already two years old when I bought them.

I've heard very good things about Carlisle radial trailer tires. Anyone with experience with those? Any other brands?

Also, anyone dealt with Trailer-wheels.com?

Thanks in advance.

2. Critter

Critter Registered

Maxxis they are the best I have found

3. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

I just bought trailer tires last thursday for my 6 x12 as well. Went to get another set of Carlisle's and they are no longer made in the US. They sold to a company in China and are made there and the tire vendor commented the quality went down.

I ended up buying GT or something made in China as well :eek:

4. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Same here. I only use Maxxis.

5. WERA

WERA Administrator

I use Maxxis too but light truck tires.

6. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I have had 4 or 5 Carlisle tires go pop over the past few years, have 1 left I'm waiting on. Just say no. :D

I have had good luck with Maxxis 8008, Kumho 857 and Duro tires. The Kumho 857 can be hard to find but it's one of the few load range D 14" trailer tires available.

7. LilRichard

LilRichard Well-Known Member

This^^^

8. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

Sounds like Maxxis is the winner.

Now, anyone know of an on-line source for Maxxis trailer tires and wheels? My trailer ate a tire, wheel, and axle this weekend in Kentucky. It got a ride on a roll-back wrecker to a shop who's working on the hard parts, but he doesn't have tire equipment. Since I need two tires and one wheel to him in Kentucky (I'm in Ohio), it would be easiest just to buy a set of wheels & tires already balanced and just have them shipped to him in KY. I've found a few sources through Google, but so far none that carry Maxxis tires.

Thanks.

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Might call/email someone like Discount Tire Direct, get them to mount the tires on new wheels for you and then ship them. Seems most of the pre-mounted sets I've seen include 1 craptastic tire.

10. ethridge72

ethridge72 Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 7, 2012