1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traeger, Big Green Egg, ol' standard Weber, or somethin else?

Discussion in 'General' started by tophyr, May 18, 2024.

Tags:
  1. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Memorial Day is coming up, I'm about to be a dad, and I don't have a grill.

What should I get and why?

2. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

What do you plan on doing with it?
    Burgers and dogs, get a Weber.
    Gonna get into the low and slow BBQ game, start researching Traegers and Eggs. I have an egg, build quality is great, but others are easier to use and likely get the same results, and for less money. Whatever you get in the smoker category, make sure it has an auto temp controller.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What spang the wang said.

4. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

If you are a process guy get a Webber, egg or a stick burner. Those do have a learning cover and require some attention but that will be less once you figure it out. If you get it right I think this will give you the best food but if you get it wrong it may not be edible.

With no prior preference and a little one that will zap your time on the way I’d go with a pellet pooper. They are 99% idiot proof. Apps keep you up to date on grill and meat temps and even the amount of pellets you have left. They’re not really great for searing steaks but they do most everything else pretty well and make it really hard to ruin meat. Pit Boss is the most reasonably priced one I’d go with and I think Recteq is still the Unobtanium Superbike version.

An unexpected cost no matter what you go with will be all of the rubs you want to try.

Edit: if you’re a big steak guy the Pit Boss have a pretty neat feature where you can open a few slots in the diffuser to get the flames from the fire pot nearly touching the steak. It’s nice but you can really only sear one steak at a time.

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Weber kettle for old school charcoal
    Pellet with fancy electro-digikals for smoking, BBQ...way to easy.

And now i never thought I would say this....get a propane grill for just throwing some stuff on the grill outside with out the charcoal hassle and pre-planning. This hurts me to say...its like finally going from 'i only drive a stick' to traffic is so bad i bought an automatic....its sign you're getting old.

6. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Also, don’t tell the wife how easy it is to operate. “I gotta check the grill” is a great way to go outside and drink a beer instead of changing a diaper.

7. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Weber Performer

Traditional kettle charcoal grill with a built in propane lighter

8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

ooh, smart

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

There must be about 142 threads on this subject already.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

weber gas ( 3 or 4 burner tube) with side burner.
    How does the saying go... "cooking with gas" ?
    Only other thing I would recommend is grill grates. Gives you the ability to make 1/2 or more of the grill a flat top surface & also makes a great searing tool.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  11. pro69ss

pro69ss Well-Known Member

Weber for gas or electric.
    I have a sprint for the house and a Q for the track and boat ! THe Q has a stand that folds with wheels ,they come is multiple sizes and colors , also electric or gas .
    My ninja Foodi 5/1 is the best grill I’ve ever used ( we use it outside due to smoke and heat ) but usually making sides in ninja and meat on Weber IMG_4968.png .

12. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I’m looking at a traeger for the occasional smoke.

I’ve got a 19 month old and haven’t grilled in a long time.

13. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

That's a steak travesty.....

14. Depends.. :) I have an egg, Recteq pellet (was not much of a pellet fan until I bought this and like a yeti cooler, I refuse to buy a Traeger because I don’t want to be a grouper in with the Trager crowd :) and a gas. If you just want one I’d highly recomend a Recteq

ducnut likes this.
  15. PatricksDad

PatricksDad Won’t die a blob

I’ve had a kettle of some kind for 40 years, and ditched my vertical smoker for a Masterbuilt Gravity during Covid and never looked back. Makes amazing BBQ, and can hit 700 for searing and pizza. Worth a look if smoking is on the agenda.

16. rwdfun

rwdfun

You don’t have a grill!? I’m surprised you admitted that. How can you call yourself a man and not have at a bare minimum a small gas camping grill?;)

Not that I’m bragging but I have a built in grill along with an upright gas fired wood smoker and Traeger pellet grill. Just added a 36” griddle which was a 20 year work gift. That’s in addition to one of those small Weber gas grills and a 22” Blackstone just for camping. Ah who I’m I kidding. I’m bragging. You have to have cooking options. Definitely start with a gas grill. Easiest to use which will make you want to use it. I’m not onboard with this ditch the grill and go with a griddle fad. Pretty sure that myth was started by Blackstone marketing group.

I’m thinking about getting the new Gozney Arc XL pizza oven but seems like I should at least use my new griddle before I get another outdoor appliance. Anyone use one of the newer wireless temperature probes? I recently admitted I’m bad at visually telling when meat is cooked and now check temps. The wireless tech heat resistance has come a long way and most now have multiple sensors within a single probe so you don’t have to be spot on the middle. I’m almost settled on the Combustion Inc probe.

Last edited: May 19, 2024
    tophyr likes this.
  17. 23103a

23103a Well-Known Member

I just picked up a Traeger Pro 22 yesterday. They're on sale right now, normally $500 but they're selling for $390. Most of the other models are on sale too..

ducnut and tophyr like this.
  18. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Second vote for recteq! Went through 2 Pit Boss grills and bought a Recteq. Awesome machine, works way better/faster and will go to 700 degrees when you want to sear stuff. The App works fantastic (Pit Boss app was a waste). Absolutely love the Recteq..

ducnut likes this.
  19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

You really need 2 devices.

If you're in a cold winter climate go for the egg. They hold heat exceptionally well

20. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

This is a true statement