1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track day bike: Ducati V4 or 959 Corse

Discussion in 'General' started by wera313, Apr 25, 2018.

1. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

Looking for advice on either the new V4 standard or 959 Corse for a trackday bike and occasional road ride. Which would you choose?

I haven’t raced for over a decade (last had an ex-Arclight GSXR 600 and RC51 in early 2000s) but want to go back to a few track days a year. Zero intention to race. I’ve also wanted a Ducati and plan to hold onto the new bike for a long time.

Like the 959 Corse because of its Ohlins suspension, well developed platform and dig the paint job. But the price isn’t too far off the new standard V4. The enhanced electronics plus the new motor are really tempting. Worry is that it’s a new platform altogether.

I know that an R3 or SV would be just fine for my purposes. But I’m the long suppressed call of the Ducati has gotten the better of me...

MachineR1 likes this.
  2. Phl218

Phl218 .

V4

From what i’ve been told, they are stupid easy to ride

Dude in Austin tracks his 1299, all tricked out. Jumped on the v4 and was 3s faster in the first session.

TX Joose likes this.
  3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The new V4 is fugly and that firing order sounds like a tractor.

I dig the 959. And the 959 is what they race in the BSB Tri-options cup so anything you can dream of is available. And that sound :D Plus it looks much better than the V4 pani. IMO

4. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I hope you have “FU” money because I’ve track three Ducati’s and they were stupid expensive to upkeep and parts were three times as much compared to the jap counterparts. Not to mention they aren’t any “better” then the jap bikes and if you find the parts you need in the first place prepare to pay a premium.

That being said they are sexy af and I can’t lie it’s pretty cool having people come to your pit and compliment your ride lol

5. Depends on your skill level and desire to push your limits.

The V4 will be much easier to go "quick" on, easier to make passes, etc. For track days, it would be an easier bike to have while working through traffic.

The 959 will take more work, require constant attention to RPMs, more corner speed, better exit drives, etc.

If it were me, and I was just looking to get on the track a few times a year to scratch an itch, and had no desire to push my limits or the limits of the bike, I would get the V4.

Granted, this is all based on the assumption that you give a shit about making passes, and don't like to be passed yourself. If you just want to hear the engine roar as you ride around the track, then either will work.

6. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Jealous. If you can afford it buy it right now. But I am a sucker, there is something special about a v twin. I'm kind of in the same boat, had an 848 for a while, also an rc51. Got a super cheap set up triump 675 for sale, just saying

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No question, V4. For track days a big bike is almost a necessity anymore. I love my 675 but it’s fucking maddening to work all lap getting around guys on big bikes who park it in the corners only to get crushed on the next straight and have to do it all over again.

8. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

LOL, you are right on that one, love the triple, somewhere between a twin and inline 4 but it isn't to fast!

9. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

between these two and for the intended use,I would get the V4 definitely .

10. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

My thoughts are if the 959 is being considered, why not get a standard 959 for considerably cheaper than the Corse or the v4? You don't seem to think the Ohlins is a necessity if you're considering a base v4. 959 will arguably be more fun as the speeds will be lower and it should be less physically demanding. My vote is base 959. If you're gonna spend Corse 959 money, get the V4 unless you're concerned about resale value.

wera313 likes this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

Seriously. Ride a demo v4 and forget what everyone is telling you here. It is not
    Just the HP

the v4 is so easy to ride and controllable

Gino230 likes this.
  12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

V4's make me horny. That is all.

The_R1_Kid and Phl218 like this.
  13. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You want a map? Because this shit answer is exactly how you get a map.

14. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Is this a vote for or against?? :Putter:

15. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

This type comment I hear is so wrong it’s bit even funny.

I can see the point maybe on an sv or Little 300 but if you’re on a 600 and a faster rider then passing a literbike is no problem. Otherwise it’s just excuses.

Gorilla George, TLR67, Chris and 5 others like this.
  16. I have to agree. I have no problems working through track day traffic on my R6.

Lap times are lap times.

The only exception is if another Expert is there, and he is on a 1000. That can get interesting, but it makes for some good fun.

dobr24 and Robby-Bobby like this.
  17. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Try doing trackdays on a 60 hp lightweight vintage bike, navigating through a pack of modern 600 and 1000 cc bikes. Now that is hard work. But the reward is hard to beat. :D

Robby-Bobby and Phl218 like this.
  18. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I sat on a V4 this past weekend. Sure I wasn't riding it but man it was comfortable and I could actually get in a full tuck (I'm on the taller side). I was hoping there would be a demo bike but no such luck

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I didn't say it was impossible, but riding at 7-8/10ths and obeying trackday rules (like passing on the outside and not being a dick) can make for a frustrating situation.

Gino230 likes this.
  20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

That is NOT how you use 'anymore' in a sentence! :mad: Don't do it again.

[​IMG]

toybm, scottn, BSA43 and 1 other person like this.