1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torque wrench recommendations

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RIB333, Jan 2, 2020.

1. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

So it looks like my 47 year old Indestro Super torque wrench has finally packed it in. The company is long gone as far as I can tell. I had to tighten a motor mount bolt on an R3 I'm building for the track to 49 ft. lbs. and I snapped the bolt. My fault since my built in torque wrench was telling me something was wrong. Sort of glad it happened on this bike and this bolt since replacement is no problem. Anyway, the wrench will read up to 46-47 ft. lbs. but set at 48, tightening another motor mount bolt that should be at 49 I get no reading.

Long story just to ask for recommendations for a quality, made in the USA (or other high quality industrial country), ratcheting torque wrench with 3/8" drive. This old one is the click type with a micrometer style adjustment in the locking handle. I have never used a pointer style and I'm leery of digital, but open to any input.

I'm looking for something in the 5 to 10 ft. lbs to 50-60 more or less. I have another Proto torque wrench that goes from 50 to 250 ft lbs.

Thanks in advance.

2. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

What's your budget?

Digital all day, and get the one that has the internal gyro to do degrees as well so you can do torque-to-yield fasteners.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

The simplicity of the beam type torque wrench makes them accurate and that's what I have now. The problem with the click-type torque wrenches is that it's easier for them to go out of calibration because most people do not set the torque back to zero before they put them away after use.
    I really like the idea of the digital ones as I think that the design is likely to stay calibrated if it is accurate to begin with. I'm sure they're using a strain gage for those now and that's pretty simple technology. They're not cheap though. Might be my next high dollar tool purchase.

Chaplain45 likes this.
  4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

CDI.

5. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

Overall I'm happy with my Kobalt 3/8" digital torque wrench. Very affordable. Even measures in degrees which was the selling point for me when I was in the market for a torque wrench for a motor build.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If you want super quality, get Tohnichi - they make a couple specially designed for motorsports applications. They are readily available on eBay. If you are more on a budget the ones from Harbor Freight or Northern work well...for a while.

DDK732 likes this.
  7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I like my Armstrong torque wrench. it feels bulletproof. some are sold on Amazon.

just looked up Tohnichi. they make everything. this one seems fun. its only $600
    [​IMG]

K51000 likes this.
  8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Everything digital fails. Beam or click types for me. I've had a craftsman for 20+yrs now, not sure how their newer stuff is these days.

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If toy look around the pro paddock (what's left of it), there's a lot of guys with Tohnichi. You probably won't get to borrow it. The common ones are $180-$200, reasonable for what you get.

10. Tim Dobbertin

Tim Dobbertin Well-Known Member

11. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Don't think they still make these;
    But it's always accurate- to it's own standard.

I rarely use a torque wrench.

I've built several motors with this that ran fine

[​IMG]

12. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I toured the Ducati factory this summer. They used a digital torque wrench that had to be close to 4’ long!

13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Might want to just keep that fact on the down low.

14. dudutzu

dudutzu Well-Known Member

15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Pretty sure CDI makes the snap on ones, at least the one i have.

RRP likes this.
  16. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Sure they do, it's called a beam or deflecting beam torque wrench. We use them once in a while, mainly for rear end pinion setup.

K51000 likes this.
  17. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses. Went with a CDI, it had the range I wanted. Tohnichi looks real nice as well.

RRP likes this.
  18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I bought a EASTWOOD digital for around $80. I had it checked and it was within spec. It stores about 5 presets so it does what I need.