To test a thermostat?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Scootimus, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Scootimus

Scootimus Well-Known Member

Looking for a little help here. I've recently picked up a friends 08 ninja 250 that has been sitting for over a year. I got it running fine with the exception of it over heating. When it gets up to temp the fan will not come on, just the temp light (there is no gauge.) I've hooked the fan up to a battery and it runs fine so I'm wondering if there is a way to test a thermostat to see if it is operating properly?

thanks in advance for any help.

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Is it boiling over, or just an over temp light? If it isn't boiling over, it may not be getting warm enough to trip the fan sensor. If you can get your hands on a laser temp gun, see what temp the bike gets when the light comes on. Most fans are set to come on at 220-230 F.

But to test a thermostat, easy. Get a candy thermometer (one that reads above up to and above 180 F) and toss the thermostat in a pot of water. Heat the water up, and the thermostat should start opening at 180 or so. If you don't have a thermometer, just watch the water and if the thermostat opens before the water starts boiling, you are fine. Once the water starts popping little bubbles, that is almost boiling, so if it starts opening before bubbles start forming it is working.

Personally I would just take it for a ride and see how it does in traffic. Without a true temperature reading you are just guessing.

3. Scootimus

It is boiling over. I will try the pot of water tomorrow.

I'm also wonder if it could be a fan relay? Gotta locate that puppy next I guess.

4. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Fan relay? I'd check that first, thermostats are pretty simple and dont fail as often as the fan relay.

5. Scootimus

I tested the thermostat and it is functioning properly. I guess now it's time to mess with the relay. Now I just gotta figure out which one it is!