1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Titanium O2 sensor bungs

Discussion in 'Tech' started by kennoy, Oct 28, 2008.

1. kennoy

kennoy Well-Known Member

Where can I get a couple cheap with M18x1.5 threads.

TIA

2. bosco500

bosco500 Active Member

3. kennoy

kennoy Well-Known Member

Thanks but the key word was CHEAP :) Even though Ammar's shop is only minutes from my house, I think/hope I can find them cheaper than $60 each.

Thanks for the info though

4. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

I was looking for some yesterday as well. Have to get a bigger bung welded into my Akra mid pipe :( Bazzaz quoted me $85 for labor, and $60 for the bung, plus shipping both ways. OUCH!

5. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

The cheap way to go is hit your local muffler shop and have them torch one out of an old exhaust. Probably cost you less than $10 (maybe free if you just take the part home and cut it out yourself). Of course it'll be stainless instead of titanium. The stainless piece will be 1 ounce heavier than the Ti part. It just boils down to how much you're willing to pay for that 1 oz. of weight. You can save that much weight just by wringing it a little harder when you take your pre-race piss. :D

6. sdg

sdg *

Good luck getting that SS bung welded to the Ti exhaust....

personally - $145 plus shipping ain't that bad...it IS titanium, after all...

7. kennoy

kennoy Well-Known Member

I can get brand new SS bungs for about $6. but like SDG said, SS won't weld to Ti. :)

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Okay, I've looked at this thread a couple of times, and I can no longer resist saying...

Since when is anything made of titanium cheap?

9. kennoy

kennoy Well-Known Member

Well, if it were an Ti exhaust system or a Ti fairing stay or a Ti sub frame or something like that which would involve LOTS of custom bending and welding then the word "cheap" wouldn't even be part of this. But we're talking about a Ti slug that has a threaded hole in it :)

I know what you are saying about Ti being expensive though.

10. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Google titanium fasteners and find someone to weld the nut on. There are lots of places that sell them. The welder may be a little harder to find though.

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Freakin' genius. Ti welders are like crack whores..they're everywhere, and they're all really good.

12. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Ever try to machine ti? Especially threads? Bend, form, weld, fab... all pretty easy (for people that know how) compared to putting one in lathe or even running a tap through one.

Bazz's are nice because they have the radius in them instead of just the flat ones that the few other people that have them sell.

13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Huey, what do you know?:rolleyes:

Titanium should be cheap, because it's so easy to machine and fabricate. And mine. I've been mining it in my backyard, and half the nuggets are 6x1.0 bolts. F%^%ck the Russians.

14. sdg

sdg *

:crackup:

15. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

That just because buffets are all you can eat... you really shouldn't eat all you can.

16. kennoy

kennoy Well-Known Member

17. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member