1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire Warmers

Discussion in 'Tech' started by FastBoy, Mar 22, 2003.

1. FastBoy

FastBoy Well-Known Member

Okay, being a PN I'm new with the tire warmer applications. How are you guys using them (how long) prior to the first practice and how do you use them in between practices and races especially if you start practice at 9am and continue racing until 4pm with an hour or two between track time. BTW these are CH Pole Position warmers (135/175 thermostats) on Pirelli rubber.

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

3. FastBoy

FD@$TY$^&+_(hnkljh

Great! Now I'm more confused than before after reading some of those old threads. Seems like voodoo magic. Thanks.

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Re: FD@$TY$^&+_(hnkljh

:confused: :confused:
    That's the beauty of the BBS.
    1]Check air pressure 1st thing in the morning,put warmers on clean tires,with the PP warmers,turn on 1/2 hr before going out.After you come in,clean your tires,put them back on[not plugged in].
    How's that?

5. bmfgsxr

bmfgsxr Well-Known Member

317 basically covered it. most warmers will take from 30-45 minutes to heat up the tire/rim. i turn mine on about 40 minutes prior to race start. always clean your tires with a rag before putting on your warmers. this will get the snots, and rocks off your tire for the most part. if you have a short time between races plug them back in. if your not racing within a half hour dont plug them back in right away. the reason to put them on after a race is so they dont cool down as fast and wont receive as much damage from heat cycling. the reason most manufacturers recommend up to 45 minutes is because that is what it takes to heat the rim up also, and that will aid in maintaining the heat in your tires. read this page... http://www.chickenhawkracing.com/ma...ontent/00/00/31/78/74/userdirectory33.content it has a lot of info for ya. good luck.

6. FastBoy

Yep! Yep!

Never amazes me how many different opinions there can be about one subject. Let me see if I have this correct. When smoke starts coming from under the warmers.....:eek:

Thanks for the help.

7. MotoMadman

MotoMadman Mr. Moto Riding

You may want to consult Moose about those times, though. 30-45 mins. is a long time to leave warmers on Pirelli Tyres. In hot weather, they only recommend 10 mins. In cooler weather, I don't go more than about 20.

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

To second that, I've also heard (from the guy who makes the Tire Bakers) that Pirelli's don't need a lot of heat to get up to optimal temperature. Dunlops on the other hand, do take longer.

- eddie

9. T748

T748 FMF SV Pilot

Well, fwiw, I sent a note to Pirelli, asking them what they recommend by way of tire heating using warmers, in order to minimize heat cycling. Here's the note they sent back:

Dear Sir, t short

The recommended tire temperatures that you should have you tires heated to are 50-60 Celcius. This is the beginning of operating temperature for the Supercorsas. This temperature will allow you to keep the warmers on for longer periods of time while not heat cycling the tires. Remember to monitor outside temperatures as 50 to 60 celcius can be attained with just the sun if it is a 85-100 degree day and you really wouldnt need to use warmers to build heat in the tire.

If you have any further questions please email me at:
    [email protected]

Kind regards,
    Rich Munson
    US Pirelli Race Mgr.
    Thank you for your interest in our company and products.
    Best Regards.

Customer Service
    Pirelli MOTO

P.S. Visit our web site at the http://us.pirellimoto.com
    =======

I've got chickenhawk pole positions, which include two settings, 175 and 135 deg F. The 135 setting is right in the range of what he recommended, so I'm going to give that a try and see how it goes.