1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire fitment question for a Bonneville T100

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Ducpimp, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Ducpimp

Ducpimp Well-Known Member

I am posting this question for a friend. He has a 2005 Triumph Bonneville T100 that he was looking to turn into a track/race bike and wanted to find a set of cast wheels to replace the tubed spoked ones. Does anyone have any suggestions or would be willing to share what they did? I was told that the newer Bonneville SE rims will match up and solve this but can't find any documentation on it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. STAN LIPERT

STAN LIPERT Well-Known Member

Is that you Aaron? How's it going at Cafe Racer?

Please don't go with the SE cast wheels. They are super heavy and besides, the stock spoke wheels are plenty stiff enough for racing. Too bad you friend didn't start with the Thruxton, already set up with clipons, rearset footpegs and a faster engine. Check into Thruxton Cup bikes that raced in AHRMA and you will get a good direction for your (CR) project bike!

If you have the budget for buying new wheels, I would suggest lacing up Thruxton aluminum rims to replace the chrome T100 rims, or find some ebay Thruxton wheels. Whichever way you go, get a set of Avon vintage race compound tires in the stock tire sizes for track use. I think that every Thruxton Cup racer used them.

Get that bike set up and bring it to our Northern Ohio Ducati/Triumph track day this spring at Nelson. (Crooked River Motorcycles' new name) Get Mike to bring some Cafe bikes and we'll make an event of it! I'll bring a few of my own vintage race bikes to tear it up.

Oh, uh, umm... the exhaust wrap on the T100 won't make any power, will rust your pipes, and overheat the metal to promote cracks...

Cheers,
    Stan