Tire contingencies for GP, or lack there of

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Jack, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

Only one tire company is giving contingencies for 125GP, Bridgestone. Now, I don't happen to believe Bridgestones are all that bad. I've ridden on the softs on my mini and an SRX I had and they worked great! According to Jay Wright at http://www.barebones.com they use fewer volitile compounds in their construction and, thus, don't go off with heat cycling like some of the others, not as bad anyway. Now, the B Dunlops I've been using are very good! I like them better than Michelins. But, I've not tried the Stones on a 125. Now, I know there are those who can't stand the Stones, but if I can get contingency with them, I almost feel obligated to switch even though there is no trackside tire support. I could save money on the purchase and the contigency now and then would be welcome.

What say all on these thoughts. Are you a Stone hater? Have you tried them and evaluated them for yourself without bias toward any other brand?

Jack

[This message has been edited by Jack (edited 02-19-2002).]

2. FZR 473

FZR 473 Well-Known Member

Jack,

I just read the RRW post regarding Dunlop's contingency. I do not understand why Dunlop post 125 contingency monies in several organizations but none in WERA (Sportsman or Nationals) and CCS. Why? I see bikes on the CCS/WERA grids with Michelin and Bridgestone. I am going to find out who we can send an email or phone to find out why.

In my first year riding the 125, I tried both Dunlop and Bridgestone (older version). I was faster on the Dunlops but it could have been more in my head. I have to have confidence in my tires and I kept thinking, while on the Bridgestone, these are the old versions. I could not get myself to trust the tires. I have a brand new set of the updated Bridgestones sitting right here in my computer room. I got them from Derek, aka Stickboy. I hope they are as good as the Dunlops. If they are, I will run them. I really want to buy from Derek b/c he deserves the business. Bridgestone could not find a better guy to represent their product. That guys a riot but he does a good job trying to promote their products. If they want their tires to really sell, they need to get their best products to us racers here in the US. It seems as if we get year old stuff. Europe's and Japan's take offs.

I thought I read where Michelin was going to offer contingency at WERA Nationals for us 125 guys but I guess not. Unfortunately, in terms of contingency, it looks like everybody but Bridgestone wants to forget about the 125 class. Same goes for the new USGPRU series. I don't think anybody is offering tire contingency.

Brian Kcraget

3. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Yes Bridgestone pays but from what I have seen its $50 for first and when I priced the new Stones they were $50 more than what I can get the Michelin or Dunlop for so really there would be no benifit for the contingency unless they are the tire to win on and I think Dunlop has that in hand.

4. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

I got the "racer support" paperwork from bare bones and I'm not sure I like the aggreement. The "contingency" is given by them in discounts/free shipping, which is okay. Money is money. But, it says in print that if they find out after you sign and submit this thing that you've used other tires, you could be liable for what you saved. Now, what you saved is up to their interpretation. I don't even know if I'm gonna LIKE the stones, much as I like to save money. And, if I need a tire and can't wait on delivery, what'd I do? Well, I think I'll pass on the Bridgestone deal afterall. The track service I get from ICE motorsports is first rate and worth a little more by itself. Damn shame Dunlop can't help us out somehow with contengencies or something. If I ride like I did (or didn't) at Oak Hill, though, I won't have to ever worry about a contingency payment anyway, LOL.

Jack