1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tips preparing myself for first race day

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by jiffyzx6, Jan 18, 2011.

1. jiffyzx6

jiffyzx6 Well-Known Member

serious question. everyone talks about getting the bike prepared for race day but what about you?
    my first race is coming up in two weeks and I can barley eat, can't sleep, my mind is racing way more than usual and if I check the bolts on the bike one more time I think the bolts will strip... lol I'm going out of my mind with excitement and stress. is this somethin all of you have felt your first race? how did you ease your mind... or did I loose mine lol

I guess my real question would be, what do you do to prepare yourself physically and mentaly for race day? I've been working my ass off for the past three years for this day to finally get here.

thanks for any advice

2. Smalls

Smalls 2012 Blue...

Relax & have fun.......:up:

3. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

Buy a torque wrench, you don't want to strip out those bolts. :)

Being nervous is natural. It goes away as soon as the green flag drops.

Get a notebook and take notes. They might not be useful in three years, but they will have something in them for the next time you're at that track. You should note your suspension setup, tire make and model with the cold and hot temps you're running. You should note unusual things about the track and some reference points. Lap times aren't a bad idea either. Unless you're like me and don't want anyone to see how slow you are. :)

Don't listen to your music too loud, you might miss a call.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Stay hydrated and make sure you eat.

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Exercise is a good stress reliever, believe it or not.

I also tell myself, if I'm nervous, I'm 99% sure I'm gonna screw this up, so there's no point in being nervous. It works for me, but thankfully I don't get nervous very often.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

You will be giddy as a school kid until you complete lap 1. After that you will settle down a bit.

7. jiffyzx6

lol you should see the notes I have! every torque spec, every adjustment I've ever made with suspension and notes about how it felt, I have the track maps and tire specs from dunlop website downloaded to my phone and I close my eyes and "ride" the courses every day, I know exactly where I'm slow and need work and I know where im fast and don't need to work on (right now) I know my lap times in track days say I should end up 1st or 2nd in the classes I'm running. I know what times and aprox place my competition will finish (if there the same as 2010 session).
    I've raced MOTO x when I was a kid but was never this worked up about a race lol. didn't know if I was the only one.

8. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Write your grid position down on a piece of tape and stick it on your tank so you can see it. With all that's goin on it the your first race you could forget during the warmup, especially if your in more than one race. Good luck & have fun. Oh and don't put your helmet on til you've puked:beer::D

9. jiffyzx6

that's the things I'm worried about messing up. wrong place on the grid, forgetting my gloves at the pit, forgetting to plug in my warmers lol

10. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Bring Immodium to the track.
    Also, you may pee like a racehorse prior to a race, so like Mongo said, stay hydrated.

11. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Make a check list of everything you need and tape it to your trailer door. As you pack it up, check it off. Otherwise you're gonna be pissed when you forget something stupid that you really need like gas jugs or something

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My piece of tape had my grid position and the reminder "first gear." I had a bad habit of parking myself on the grid in second gear and just pulling the clutch, never going back to neutral. I started a couple of races in second gear before I started writing down the reminder.

13. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I check the bike over. Fluids, tire pressure, safety wiring etc. Take a nap. Have sex the night before. lol Seriously....it helps me relax. Why do you think my GF goes to the races with me. lol

14. jiffyzx6

I like your answer best lol but since I haven't had sex in 3 years I don't think that's in the cards lol I'm horrible with girls... go ahead and laugh but I only feel comfortable and confident with my helmet on riding the crap out of nyx (the bike)

15. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

WTF that's too much info! Read a "magazine" or watch a "movie", and don't put pu$$y on a pedastal. As for the race I can't give you any advice, I'm in the same boat.

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

HELL!!! That's the problem! JK

If you don't already, have a vigorous workout, it helps me. You need an energy expenditure. It sounds like you are prepared, just have to deal with being nervous, it will go away as soon as you grid up. Good luck and let us know how you did:up:

17. Hyper08

Hyper08 Well-Known Member

Wow...this thread just took a drastic turn...

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No shit! :wow:

That said, if I could do it over, I would try to bring a woman to my first race so I could get the stress out and get some sleep the night before. :D

19. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

So to recap:

Relax, stay hydrated, have sex, take notes, leave your self some reminders.

All's that's left is to take a shower. :D

See? Raceday is easy.

20. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

I learned this little secret in my second race season. It resulted in my first trophy. Get u some!!