Tiny Bike - Big Guy

Discussion in 'General' started by clarustnb, Jun 15, 2011.

1. clarustnb

clarustnb Well-Known Member

So my father - 6'2" 195 lbs - wants to take baby steps into track riding and eventually racing. He's been riding street bikes for about 10 years, but is rather timid to opening things up on a track.

His solution is to take a baby step and get something more manageable than what he is riding now [848] with opportunity to race it afterwards.

So the question - Can a big guy fit on a EX 250 race prepped? He's not to worried about the poor power/weight ratio, but really the fit-ability, ground clearance, etc.

My advice was to just go to an SV.

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

If you already know how to prep an SV, that's the way to get his feet wet (hint, hint).

3. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

SV is the way to go. From another big guy.

4. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

I'm 6'1, 240lbs. and I've been itching to race the ninja 250... think I have opie talked into letting me on his!!! Just looks like fun!

5. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Small bikes are fun till they hurt you....
    6'5" on a GS!

[​IMG]

6. 178SV

178SV now retired...

Seat to pegs, pegs to ground, and seat to bars bikes pretty much accomodate the same. However, liter bikes have a huge advantage on how much ego they carry.

7. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

:Poke: 6'2" 195lbs is only big in munchkin land...:D

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

That looks like a mini.....

9. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I thought the same thing! GS my ass, thats a YSR. lol

There are lots of bigger guys on small bikes.

10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I'm 5' 9" and ~180lbs. The kids smack me around, but there are several "normal" size people in the class I can race with. 195 will be fine.

11. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

+1. I'm 5'11" and weigh between 210-215. I get smoked, but not because of my weight.

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Chris (dobr24 on here) races a Ninja 250 and goes pretty well. He's about 6'2" and 230 lbs....

13. sowega

sowega #710

I wish I had taken a pic of you on my 250 at Roebling. Holy shit, that was funny.

"Deeper in the stroke" :crackup:

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

[​IMG][/IMG]
    This was my first ride on the 250. I am 6'1 and about 220#'s I think this is a great bike to learn on. You learn a lot about corner speed and generate some really good habits that translate well over to bigger machines.

15. Prof._HH

Prof._HH Well-Known Member

The 250 will be fine (5'11" 200lbs). I get spanked on the track too - wish I could blame my weight. Don't know how much he weighs but Karl's North of 6' and does pretty well on the Ninjette too.

16. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

he's not a big guy.

17. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

6ft 250lbs :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

19. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

6' 6", 270-lbs., on an '89 FZR400... bitches.

[​IMG]

I say get out there and ride it. :up: