1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time vs HP

Discussion in 'General' started by Tracee Polcin, Feb 16, 2001.

1. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Ok since we had a nice discussion about LW's vs the MW', HW's on a different thread I thought a topic on this is in order.

As JU stated the HW's were carrying the same speed at apex as the LW's were. So in light of that where do the LW's make up the difference? The only way to really tell would be with data logging equipment to monitor the wheel speed, braking and such. Story for RRW possibly?

So where does the time come from? Is it on the brakes or better said not on the brakes?

2. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

I think in the case JU was talking about, the light weight bikes were not making up time anywhere. The big bikes had the same corner speed, and I assume better acceleration and top speed.
    I won’t matter if you can slow down from 120 mph to 90 mph faster then the bike bikes can slow from 150 to 90 mph. It would take a very special track layout to make that into an advantage.
    I am guessing that is why smaller bikes will have slower lap times with equal riders on them.

3. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

See if you can follow this logic. Let us assume for simplicity's sake that both small bikes and big bikes corner go through the entire corner at the same speed (90 mph for example, as JU had stated). And that this is true for all corners.

This means that on a small, short, technical track, there are less places where a bigger bike can take advantage of its horsepower difference (straights). Thus a small bike does not necessarily make up anytime, they simply lose less. Resulting in lap times which are only a few seconds different.

[This message has been edited by Guoseph (edited 02-16-2001).]

4. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

Look at Talledega - Jason DiSalvo on a 125 giving Tray on a 750 a run for his money. LW/GP bikes must have much higher corner speeds that the MW/HW.

5. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Or maybe big bikes can't use their hp advantage on tiny tracks? Hello, anyone home? [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by thiam1 (edited 02-16-2001).]

6. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

This does not seem as evident at the local club races due to rider skill. When I was dicing with Jason in 98 as a Novice, our speeds were not that much faster, if any than the 600's (Jason on a 125 and me on a 400)in the corners at Summit. Now that Jason has progressed to a higher riding level it stands out.

7. fin1exp

fin1exp Well-Known Member

What is the argument being made here? You guy seem to be arguing for the same point, I don't get it.
    Eric [​IMG]

8. Bryon K. Dumas

Bryon K. Dumas Well-Known Member

Anyone who is married knows the art of pointless arguments [​IMG].

I've noticed that my personal terror level goes up commensurate with the horsepower level of the machine I'm riding. Fourth gear power slides have a way of making you respect the high output of modern sportbikes.
    (How many of you have blown turn nine at Roebling and done the field route?).

9. Tracee Polcin

No thank you!!!! D

10. Hubbard

Hubbard Puff... Puff... Give...

I thought someone said Jason was riding his 2001 RS250 at Talledega?

Did he also ride a 125?

11. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

You are Kornfusin J Peters with Piles and J DiSalvo.
    Piles has a 01 TZ250 and was at Talledega while DiSalvo had a 01 RS250 or two at Homestead I think.

12. VitoDuc19

VitoDuc19 MIA

Twice! And both times I made it through upright, boy talk about pucker factor.

Vito

13. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

tell me about how you did it, what kinda bike did you loose it on @ T9
    i'm familiar sliding it and loosing it at T2 tho [​IMG]

14. Bryon K. Dumas

Bryon K. Dumas Well-Known Member

Rolling into turn 9 at Roebling with three laps to go in a Heavyweight Solo 20 novice race I stepped the rear out big time. Turning into the slide and slithering as far back on the bike as I could I waited for the inevitable buck when the rear caught traction. Wham! My ass is in the air but I can't see upside down numbers yet and flop back down on the tank and thank god I ride with a heavy dose of steering damping.
    Then I realize my trajectory is going to take me off the track into the field tapped out in fourth, whoooo hooooo.
    Sailing through the field I kept upright, straight and brakeless. The Duc got a bit airborne a few times and I peeled off back toward the track and saw Tony pumping his fist at me and smiling.
    My mistake was rolling on the throttle too fast at too steep a lean angle. My corner exit speed has yet to recover :O.

15. Tracee Polcin

I hate that when it happens. [​IMG]

16. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

i wasn't as lucky as i was chasing a suzie750 hwy solo and damn i was gonna put him in back of me after him getting me n the straight...so full lean angle pass on the outside t2, throttle, oh sweet throttle, mega slide and ......airborne....we was dicing for 9th he finished 8th, i finished sucking O2 in the am'bulance [​IMG]

that was 5/99.... race had already one red flag, they roll the am'bulance on me but
    keep on racin'...nice, real nice...CCS