1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about getting a Boxster... any input?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Nov 27, 2023.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

2. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

3. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Subaru Crosstrek... OOPS, Wrong Boxter motor. ;) Ski

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

We have one of those

skidooboy likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Now that we are all done kidding around, my best friend had a 05ish Boxster S and loved it. I was in my 03 mini cooper S, messing around in the curves years ago, and his was slightly quicker. A business associate has a 15 Boxster GTS with Carbon Ceramic brakes and it has right at 100K miles, still on original brakes. He let me drive it a couple years ago, and I was surprised when going over the train tracks how tight it still felt. Actually felt like a new car still to me.

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I like 'em. Don't worry about those who are insecure about their manhood and drive it like you stole it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    Steeltoe, ducrcr and BigBird like this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

They are sweet handling rides. I would cross shop the cayman as well. Cayman GT4 would be an amazing find

cha0s#242 likes this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was thinking about the cayman versus the boxster and maybe I’m high but the cayman actually is better looking.

But for the love of all that is holy, keep the color in check on whatever you get. Some of the colors should be banned by the UN as crimes against humanity, scream out steakheads and should come with matching extra medium T-shirts, bedazzled jeans and wrap around upper bicep wrap around tattoos.

9. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

I have an '01 Boxster S and it's a lot of fun to drive! But it does have a 3.8 X51 motor in it, so that helps. ;)

BigBird likes this.
  10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Used, they are about the same price as a Nissan 370Z of similar vintage. I don't know which one I would get between the two.

11. Boman Forklift

Cayman is definitely better looking and would not be confused with a chick car.

brex likes this.
  12. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

I briefly had a 2002 Boxster w/5 spd. I actually traded 2 rifles for it on Craigslist but that's another story. Anyway, it was hoot drive: Balanced, quick, great brakes, all things you'd expect from a Porsche. Only real issue for me was I was a bit cramped in it at 6'6". As i'm more torso than legs, driving with the top down was far more comfortable for me.

We probably would have kept it as a 3rd car but our son was only 5 at the time and being only a 2 seater, it was highly impractical for us. Had I not been immersed in the Moto's, then it would have been a different story.

I ended up trading it for 3 moto's plus cash (2006 DRZ 125 Dirtbike, 2001 FZ1 and 2002 CRF250) to an ex-car racing friend of mine who wanted to get back into car track days. He ended up redoing the entire suspension, fixed the IMs bearing when getting the clutch redone, all new brakes/rotors, track tires, etc. He made a potent track car out of it but still daily driveable. Watched him pass several faster cars in the corners and what not. Said it was one of the best handling cars he has ever driven after his mods, it just needed more power and a 6th gear.

He ended up selling it to another Porsche owner (guy owns like 5-6 different ones) and that guy still uses it as his track car.

My buddy ended up buying a much newer Cayman S. He says its all the things the boxster is and more. Better power, great handling, looks better, etc.

I look every now and again for both. If my money, Id find a newer(ish) Boxster S or Cayman S for my fun car.

BigBird likes this.
  13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

They're both chick cars or 1/2 men cars. NTTAWWT

14. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Depending on budget, why not just get a 996/911 (same car basically as early boxster) or a 997??
    The 996's are still a great buy and a killer driver for little money..

15. Boman Forklift

Unless he sold it, he already has a older oil/air cooled convertible 911.

16. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Here's a hint .... not a nissan!

BigBird likes this.
  17. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

My brother has one and has dumped a ton of money into engine and suspension, but is very happy with the result. He does the occasional track day, but mostly has it as he belongs to a car group that drive their fancy sports cars around the PNW staying at nice hotels and driving the backroads. He felt he was having to really overdrive the Boxter to stay ahead of the 930's and GT whatevers with his stock engine, brakes and suspension. He doesn't have to worry about that now. I have driven it and it is fast and fun, but doesn't do much for me as I think it is just too small.

BigBird likes this.
  18. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

i had an 05 997.1 standard with bearing replaced, full exhaust, springs and while it was fun it doesnt come close to the cayman gts 4.o i replaced it with. The cayman/boxster platform is the better platform for handling, its like a kart! look up BGB motorsports and all the crazy cayman builds they do because you cant beat where the engine is and the balance of the car.

Saiyan66 and BigBird like this.
  19. Boman Forklift

I'm with you and why I would like a GT4 someday.

ajcjr likes this.
  20. Phl218

Phl218 .