1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things to do in Lakeland Fl

Discussion in 'General' started by 72westie, Mar 4, 2013.

1. 72westie

72westie Well-Known Member

Hey,
    I am heading down on Wednesday to Lakeland for a couple of days to see some Detroit Tigers spring training games. I would appreciate any tips on good restaurants or cool places to check out while i'm down there.

Thanks!

2. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

This will be the shortest thread ever. :D

3. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Check out http://www.fantasyofflight.com/ in Polk City if you're an aviation buff. Seriously cool little place. Downtown Lakeland is quite pretty these days with some nice spots to walk around the small lakes, etc. As far as food, Harry's Seafood is always popular but i've never been there. Palace Pizza has decent pie and for a good honest burger, hit the Chop Shop.
    You'll be down during the end of the Plant City Strawberry Fest (think county fair) if you want to get your "Redneck" on ;). Don't forget you'll be only a 45min. drive from either Tampa or Orlando, depending on which direction you go, so the possibilities are endless.
    Cheers, Lee S.

4. 72westie

Not much to do down there? :D

5. Dits

Hey Lee, have you gone to the Circle B Bar Preserve?

There was a segment on the news about that place and it looked kinda fun.

6. Dits

The Plant City Strawberry Festival is this week.

7. lee955i

Actually, no. Driven by it a crapload, though:D. The kiddo went and enjoyed it, OK but she was 9 at the time, not a real outdoorsy type, and wasn't thrilled about all the walking in the August heat. Can't say as I blamed her;).
    Ill check it out at some point, i'm sure, along with Bok Tower and gardens.
    Cheers, Lee S.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup:
    I've only been to the airport (21 years ago) but I wasn't under the impression that I missed much.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Bok Tower is worthwhile, but for me, there is a bit of nostalgia there. We used to go there when I was a kid.

10. Dits

Lake Wales is a pretty cool little town.

11. racergary

racergary Well-Known Member

only time I was in Lakeland was to see the Spring Training Tigers and did nothing else but wait out 2 days of pouring rain and canceled games.Oh I did get a new rear tire mounted on the Lario during a brief break in the pouring rain......

12. lee955i

I didn't know Bok was built by the Egyptians :D:crackup:
    Cheers, Lee S.

13. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

:stupid: There are always concerts and such going on for the Strawberry Festival. Also, plenty to do in Tampa or Orlando and only 30-40 minutes from either via I-4.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It wasn't, it was the Sumerians.:moon:

15. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Yes, drive to downtown St Petersburg and savor the flavor.:cool:

16. 72westie

St. Petersburg is a possibility, as I want to go to the Dali Museum there. Not sure if it'll happen though.

17. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

Head over to Sarasota for a day. My nine year old daughter is swimming in the state championships. She's gonna KILL!

You're welcome,

18. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Dali is cool. You just missed beer fest in Tampa.

Coheed and Cambria is at Janus Live Wednesday night, all kind of clubs and other distractions on Central Ave toward downtown. Check Creative Loafing's website for the scoop on St Pete & Tampa, http://cltampa.com/

19. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

They had races (motorcycle RR) at Polk & Lakeland back in the 70's. Polk was like racing on the sidewalk.

The Friendly Tavern downtown and Blinkie the gator were my best memories.

20. nochknstrps

nochknstrps Well-Known Member

Texas Cattle Company!!!

32 oz porter house

Monday night all you can eat steak and shrimp.

Texas Cattle Company
    735 E. Main Street
    Lakeland, FL 33801
    Phone: (863) 686-1434