1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The unofficial official "SMMFH" thread

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by pickled egg, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Oh I know. My bad. :D

3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Me too..... well is make everything white decorating?

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It's over this one......actually stick a fork in both of them.

[​IMG]

6. speeddaddy

speeddaddy Well-Known Member

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

E-panhandling to fill your retirement fund ehh...

Wait, retire on $25K, on what planet is that even possible?

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Planet Panhandle. WTF is he retiring from?

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Professional Victim?

10. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I hear that if you do it right, you can make a very good living "panhandling". Sit on a curb, make over 20 bucks and hour, and ONE HUNDRED PERCENT tax free. When I worked in Raleigh, you'd always see the same folks at the same intersections day after day after day. Every single time I was at a light with a long line, they'd get a buck or two. Think one line of twenty cars every one minute.

I can only think of one time in my life when I gave money to someone with a sob story. It didn't take long for me to learn and grow up. I might have been 20 at the time. Now, I'll freely give food, but NEVER give money.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Many years ago, a guy used to sit at the bottom of the ramp off the inner beltline onto Glenwood Ave sitting in a chair, panhandling. On day a news person decided to follow him home. He lived in one of the nicer apartment complexes in town.,

12. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Of course , hence why I think it's shameful.

"Under the Reproductive Health Act, non-doctors are now allowed to conduct abortions and the procedure could be done until the mother's due date if the woman's health is endangered or if the fetus is not viable. The previous law only allowed abortions after 24 weeks of pregnancy if a woman's life was at risk."

.....and I'm sure they'll find all sorts of ways to make sure its not viable should the need arise.

When looking at the actual stats, VERY few abortions are done because the child was a result of rape or incestuousness, or the mother's health is at risk. The overwhelming majority of them are conducted because the child is an inconvenience to the mother. In other words they are using abortion as a form of after the fact birth control

https://abort73.com/abortion_facts/us_abortion_statistics/

14. badmoon692008

Based on your statistics, which really don't seem germane to the conversation, that should mean that very few abortions will be conducted that this law applies to, so it should be of little consequence.

Differing viewpoints on abortion aside, if you genuinely believe that doctors will sacrifice their licenses and ethics to lie and claim a fetus is non viable just because someone decided they wanted a late abortion then I don't think we'll be able to have much of a productive discussion.

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Indeed......so why enact it in the first place then? One of those chicken or the egg scenarios or is there more to it than that.....I'm inclined to think its the latter.

I'll now ask the same thing you did of me, did you actually read what it allows?

"Under the Reproductive Health Act, non-doctors are now allowed to conduct abortions...."

No license to sacrifice here....and ethics? well, those kind of flew out the window long ago.

I don't begrudge you your position on abortion, actually I don't even know what it is as you haven't said anything definitive on it, I'm simply stating things as I'm seeing them.

16. badmoon692008

Because the small number of situations it will apply in are incredibly traumatic and unnecessary.

The definition called out in the measure is:
    6. "Fetal viability" means the point in pregnancy when, as determined
    43 by a physician or other qualified practitioner acting in good faith
    44 within the scope of his or her practice in accordance with generally
    45 accepted medical standards applied to the particular facts of the case
    46 before that practitioner: (a) the gestational age of the fetus is twen-
    47 ty-four weeks or more, and (b) there is a reasonable likelihood of the
    48 fetus's sustained survival outside the uterus without the application of
    49 extraordinary medical measures.

For the sake of brevity I lumped in "physician or qualified practitioner" under the phrase "doctor" but maybe that's too generous. Either way, this implies to me some sort of training and likely standard that must be upheld to maintain that position of being a "qualified practitioner" I guess maybe you'd call me naive in assuming the people tasked with these decisions won't take it lightly and perform an abortion on a viable fetus for the convenience of the mother.

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You need to see a movie.

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Btw, the viability of the fetus never comes into play in this law.
    The "health of the mother" is the key phrase that allows unlimited abortion
    up until whatever time limit is set by law, which in this case is up until the moment of birth.
    This means zero limits of any kind on abortion in NY.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have no remote issue with after the fact birth control. Plan B or abortion. An abortion once the fetus is viable outside of the womb (without huge NICU type lifesaving measures) by non-doctors - I don't get that shit at all. The law makes no sense to me.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So now I'm wondering - was there an issue where someone saved a womans life with an abortion (or delivery of a stillborn if you prefer) and got in trouble that this law is trying to correct for? Seems way weird as just a general law but then again, that's kind of normal...