1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Premier League

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, May 10, 2021.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I know I got some soccer friends on here. I have questions. I've been binge watching for a year now. I don't understand how the league is built. How many teams get to start the season? Do lower levels of teams get to play their way into PL? I get relegation and promotion. I just don't understand how to get into the PL.

Thanks

2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Here you go. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engli...and_relegation_rules_for_the_top_eight_levels

Short version: From the Premier League, the bottom 3 are relegated down, and from the English Football League Championship (level 2, 24 teams): Top two automatically promoted; next four compete in the play-offs, with the winner gaining the third promotion spot. The bottom three are relegated.

EPL (top 20, bottom three go down to EFL, aka relegated
    EFL (24 teams #21 - #43, top 3 go up to EPL, bottom three go to League 1)
    League 1 (24 teams #44 - 68, top 3 go up to EFL, bottom three go to League 2)
    League 2 (etc...)

A team from League 2, say the Mighty Metalheads, would take at least 3 years to arrive to the EPL from League 2.
    Year 1, They get into the top three and they get promoted to League 1.
    Year 2, They get into the top three and they get promoted to EFL
    Year 3, They get into the top three and they get promoted to the EPL.

It can be done, it's just really tough. When you have normal guys that work for a living (league 2) in addition to soccer playing against guys like Mo Salah, Pulisic, DeGea, etc. It's hard for them to compete against that quality of player.

Kinda like college basketball. The winner of the NCAA tournament may have one guy that goes to the NBA. Even the shittiest NBA team has 15 players that are all NBA quality.

Don't forget, if a club can't keep up with the good (read expensive) players, they run the risk of losing games, which means being relegated, which means less money....

3. Jedb

To a certain extent, the European Super League was about having these huge teams (Man-U, Chelsea, Juventus, AC-Milan, Real Madrid, Barçelona, etc) in a league without fear of relegation.
    The TV revenues are worth so much since all of these brands are recognized Globally except for the US.

4. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

You went from racing motorcycles to now falling over and grabbing your ankle if someone scowls at you?

Bruh.....

Metalhead and tl1098 like this.
  5. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I learned all about it playing Fifa with my old roommate from London. Once I figured out how to beat him, he would always say it was BS, and I played like the germans. I played soccer in high school and learned more about the game and leagues etc with my roommate and the video game than I did when I actually played.

Going to Old Trafford is still one of the best live sports experiences I've had. You could feel the energy build before a goal was scored, it was awesome.

Metalhead and Ducti89 like this.
  6. Jedb

He's from the Carolinas, not Italian.. Give him *some* credit..
    :D

Metalhead likes this.
  7. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Sounds like we need to take up donations to purchase a Moto GP pass for Metalhead in order to stop this embarrassing fall from Grace . :D

8. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

As much as I kid, I think I would enjoy a Premier League game with the fan energy.
    Ill just have to have a bunch of gin and tonics before hand to ward off the soy boy injuries.

9. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Southampton got back to back promotions from League 1 to the Premier League in 2011 to 2012. It is very rare for it to happen, I don't think any team has ever gone from the bottom division to the top division in successive years.

10. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I think the English do a little bit less of the Lebron James flopping, so it wasn't something I really remember. I was at Auburn when Auburn had Cam newton and the other teams would flop to slow down the offense.... F*ckers ... that was infuriating, but it didn't matter in the end :)

Being in a box at Bryant Denny during the 2010 Auburn Alabama game when Auburn came back to win might be my #1 sports experience.

terminus est and Boman Forklift like this.
  11. zjay

zjay Well-Known Member

Bournemouth were close to doing it.

12. Robin172

True.

13. Jedb

That's pretty damn impressive.
    I still think that Leicester's 2015/16 championship is one of the more remarkable events in modern EPL history.
    As a fan of Peter Schmichael, I've watched Kasper for quite a while.

Since I played keeper, Shilton, Grobbelar, Schmichael and Schumacher (from the Bundesliga) were my heros as a teen.

terminus est and henry_carlson like this.
  14. Robin172

I know I'm biased, I'll agree. Considering they got out of League 1 in 2009. They also had the only player to have won the top three divisions in English football with the same club.

Harald Schumacher the butcher of Seville? That man should never have been allowed to play football again after what he did to Patrick Battiston.

henry_carlson likes this.
  15. Jedb

I agree with you that the move was shitty and he should have been ejected from that game, and suspended from the rest of the WC. (82).
    IMO, he clearly went for the man, not the ball. He also had some fantastic goalkeeping in other German league matches that I saw. You have to remember, in the early 80s, the only conduit I had to any European soccer was a 1hr weekly show on Public Broadcasting that summarized the German league. His saves were usually in that weekly reel.

It's not a defense of Schumacher, but I've also seen (and been on) the other side of that play when you jump, have your arms extended to the ball, and someone either rolls you up like a linebacker hitting a receiver, or cuts your feet so you land on your upper back/neck.

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

Is this about lacrosse?

Sabre699 likes this.
  17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Wow thanks.

18. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

That's badass.

19. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Don't hate me because I'm cultured.

HPPT likes this.
  20. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

RB Leipzig came close but had to do two years in the 2nd division over in Germany