1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Powersports Industry & M/C Roadracing

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 27, 2019.

1. backbone

backbone scarred for life

PU

Spooner likes this.
  2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

That's like saying you would rather sell Chinese 4 wheelers because they're cheaper than Honda 4 wheelers.

Spooner likes this.
  3. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I don’t know why anyone would ever buy the $200 helmets…

Pixelator likes this.
  4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

And now we have the answer because of the like

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Not really. To most people, there’s value in the Honda brand name. They’re willing to pay the premium, without having to be sold on the product. Trying to get someone to see value in a ~$1K helmet and selling it to them is really tough.

6. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I’ve been hearing we were getting it since the beginning of 2020 and we still don’t have them on the site so I’ll believe it when I see it. But I’ve heard that their reps have been telling shops that we are getting it all summer. The only one left in my area hasn’t said it though and the other two quit this summer.
    Sure I’d love to have arai, it’s a legendary brand and I’ve raced in them before but I can’t say it will have a drastic affect on how many dollars of product I sell a year.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

When my kid finally talks me into a motorcycle for her chances are she’ll be wearing an Arai.

yeah, expensive as f@ck but it’s cheap peace of mind.

Gino230, Pixelator and vfrket like this.
  8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Funny that you said it that way because there's value, quality, fit in the Arai name too

backbone likes this.
  9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Times have changed, I remember drinking beers with Jeff Fox and Bruce Porter at Road America and I said hey Jeff you should be selling these

Spooner likes this.
  10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

No doubt, for those who are immersed in bikes. Even then, most still won’t spend that kind of money on a helmet. And, for the average customer walking in the door, the name means little. Most just want a decent helmet that fits their budget/perception of value.

BTW, I am an Arai owner and TSP customer, so I totally get the value in a quality brand and service

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Because they don't have much money. Gotta know your market, there's no way I could sell Arai's here, this is a poor area. But I do stock and sell $150 helmets. Better to get them into one of those than have them keep wearing the 10 year old one they've got now.

Boman Forklift and ducnut like this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yep. No matter one’s personal perceptions, you gotta’ turn products to turn profits. No sales, no business. Inventory sitting is called a collection, which is what old shops full of old inventory turn into.

13. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Not to mention today you can actually get a decent helmet for $150-$200 when those used to be absolute garbage. Yeah I'm not going to wear one but I feel fine selling them to people.

Christopher Graybosch and ducnut like this.
  14. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Hiroshima pipes will now only be distributing by WPS.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Damn! Yosh has “left” Tucker and has gone exclusively with WPS.

that’ll sting. :eek:

Yama-saurus likes this.
  16. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Hiroshima pipes are the bomb.

Steeltoe likes this.
  17. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

Curious, why will that sting?

18. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

J and D Walter has not been Arai for a few years now. Not even sure is JDW is still in business.

The Arai thing has been a mess for a while. And not sure being the the huge PU catalogs will help anything.

Wanna good ear full? Ask Brian Van on his thoughts after Arai let Revzilla buy direct but still forced all the other dealers to buy from distributors.
    Gotta give him props for standing his ground for STG and switching helmet focus to other brands.
    Heard from several other dealers they did the same and told Arai to pound sand. And probably why the loss of Arai sales via Tucker and hence their split from Arai.

henry_carlson and ducnut like this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

With Western selling to every single shop, without regard to account size, that’ll only help accessibility to Yoshimura products, I think.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sting with Tucker. There seems to be three brands of exhausts around here: Yosh, Arka and fleabay shit.