1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The HOA Story

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Nov 22, 2021.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Silly man...TL;DR. :D

rd400racer likes this.
  3. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

That's incredible. Totally worth the read!

rd400racer likes this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I love when ass hats get what they deserve. Unfortunately it gives people more reason to hate an HOA that in theory is meant to protect their property values.

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I just read the whole thing and it just made me feel pity for all involved.

The lady's an asshat, but the narrator is a douchebag as well.

eggfooyoung likes this.
  6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

No.

ducnut and Ducati89 like this.
  7. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Well HOA's and Developers bank on community inactivity. Sometime picking battles more important than stirring up a hornets nest.

8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Nope. You yell at my wife (note - if I was married) like that, there is gonna be hell to pay.

jrsamples and Ducati89 like this.
  9. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

That was a great read. I don't think he's a douchebag. She had plenty of time to apologize, backtrack, repent and make amends. To him, and to others.

Oh and whatever this guy does for a living, he should maybe consider writing as a side hustle... quite a storyteller!

jrsamples, ducnut and GRH like this.
  10. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

If not a douchebag, certainly a poster boy for schadenfreude.....

Robin172 likes this.
  11. SuddenBraking

I'm not going to die on a hill for a woman who's obviously not a great person, but I don't agree with trying to ruin someone's life because they yelled at my wife.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. There's enough pain and suffering in the world; I don't aim to make more of it. If I encounter shitty people, I generally try to ignore them (not launch a crusade against them).

12. Venom51

I don't think he did it with the intent to ruin her life. The intent was to get her to leave him the fuck alone. The fallout and destruction of her life was of her own making.

13. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I've had my major run-in with a dictatorial HOA. I could only dream of gaining the leverage he did.

The "property value" thing always makes me roll my eyes, as though any behavior is okay if that is the worthy goal. "They burned that guy's house with him and his family in it, but he was hurting our property values, so fair play".

14. SuddenBraking

Yeah, I get the initial response to mailing the letters out, but at that point I'd have been done with it and not reached out to the IRS, licensing board, etc. It just felt like vindictive overkill to me, which is why I think he's a bit of a douche. That coupled with the clear joy he got from the recounting of someone's life (even a shitty, shitty person) being ruined turned me off to it.

Again, not a black and white issue and I can see the bloodlust crowd's POV and understand it; it's just not my style.

Jeff McKinney and t11ravis like this.
  15. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

I actually had to threaten mine.

I bought my current residence who was the daughter of the ex-hoa president and her father and mother across the street from us.

They take pristine care of their lawn, like mental illness care. Anyway, when i moved in, i had the property surveyed. Our properties meet at the cul de sac our homes are on. So, the first cut of the grass season, i tried to do my neighbor a favor by cutting some grass on his side because he uses a much larger mower than I do. So, I figured I make a pass and then start my cut. Well, the soil here has a high clay content and doesnt drain water like it does up north so the mower sank in and got stuck. As i went to retrieve the truck and a strap, my wife came over as did the neighbor and he was bent out of shape about the survey and mower. I apologized telling him I was only trying to help but rodger dodger ill stay off your grass.

A few weeks later, he sprays weed killer along the survey stakes, which i left in the ground for about 7 months now. So tit for tat, my wife put up stakes on our side.

So the next morning, Im leaving my house for a doctors appointment and the harpy wife and husband come up my drive stating that they own all of our rear property and that they were going to make me move a fence and shed, which were there when we bought the house, to be difficult.

I go to my appointment and come home and dial for the Delaware State Police to show and I dig up my survey. The trooper comes and I give him the lay of the land. I hand him the survey and ask him to go over, show them the survey and to stay off our property and stop harassing us. The trooper goes over and the father furnishes a 16 year old builders plot survey and tells the trooper that we bought the house and not the land on it. Bewildered, the trooper comes back and documents the account to my liking and tells me, "good luck."
    Two weeks later, the hoa gets involved. I told the current president that if the hoa gets involved or starts harassing me on behalf of this idiot neighbor that they would be going to court along with the idiot across the street. We learn from the president that the father is having his own $800 survey done.

Fast forward two weeks, his survey comes out and confirms mine. Call DSP to make a supplement report. Gave the trooper his survey information, laid eyes on the fresh stakes and re-iterated that douche nozzle stay on his own side with the warning of a private criminal complaint being made from here on out if there are any more acts if harassment. HOA was advised the same. Havent seen the president and my neighbor since and its been a month.

16. Venom51

I'm in the camp of people end up in life as the sum of the decisions they make. She clearly was not making good decisions or maybe more accurately morally good decision.

jrsamples likes this.
  17. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

She ran that scam for far too long. She deserved all of it.

18. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

Will you die on a hill for a woman committing fraud and theft by deception?

969, Banditracer and StaccatoFan like this.
  19. SuddenBraking

My posts in this thread have led you to the conclusion that I'm itching to die on a hill for something? :confused:

These two statements can coexist:

1) That woman is a bad person, and she *probably* deserves whatever she gets/got
    2) The narrator is (IMO) a shitty person as well as the joy and overkill he exhibits in trying to ruin someone else's life does not (again, IMO) indicate a kind heart. Couple that with the attention seeking "novel" that he wrote and I feel like he's not someone I'd look to be friends with*.

*I don't know how else to qualify that different people can feel different ways about this, and I fully understand the POV of the people who are happy and think the narrator did exactly what was appropriate.

20. Venom51

I'd have to meet him before coming to that conclusion. Remember that this all started with him being a good person and taking care of what he perceived to be a possible problem in the future. It wasn't until someone started the shit that he was willing to go full bore on it. I'm kind of the same way. I don't go looking for trouble but if you want to bring it to me I am fully prepared to find out who's a better dickhead.

FastByKids, 969, CowboyRR and 5 others like this.