1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Which is why MotoGP is so much better and more interesting to watch.

stk0308 and BigBird like this.
  2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I would agree....most of the time. Just something watching a car shed 100 mph in just over 2 seconds.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

BigBird likes this.
  4. rwdfun

rwdfun

I've come to realize Max is like Jordan in one way. Not the GOAT but drumming up fake slights to motivate himself and justify his BS actions. Forget the many times Checo helped him and only remembered the one time that he purposely? crashed himself to secure 3rd place and locking Max into 4th? in qualifying? Yeah that's plausible that a driver would be happy with 3rd behind both Ferraris just to slight his teammate. OK go smoke some more crack Max. Then to allegedly use that to justify his selfish actions here. Of course Max giving Sky the silent treatment is just another example of his ego.

Obviously, I'm not a Max fan but are we sure that is the real motivation? He said something about discussing it "last summer" Did he really mean this last summer/spring i.e Monaco or is there something else? I like Checo but I'm more shocked at how Max scolded his engineer and Horner on the radio. Screwing Checo is one thing, publicly talking down to your "boss" is pretty egomaniacal. Even the Lewis haters who rip him for his radio comments can't find that level of ego. Ripping a strategy decision in the heat of the moment that didn't work is much different than how Max talked to his team leads after disobeying their team order. If Max is so petty he wouldn't swap 6th and 7th places when he's already locked up the Dr champ and the team has already locked up the constructors championship, he is going to put Jordan's pettiness to shame.

Max is definitely the GOAT of pettiness and Ego and as the saying goes pride comes before the fall

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Max is the same as Jordan or Kobe or Schumacher or senna etc etc they have the ultimate killer mindset once the helmet is on or they are on the court and they do not care what anyone thinks about it.
    And they are also smart and know they are not going to get fired or even in trouble for what they do as long as they win.

dobr24, Boman Forklift and diggy like this.
  6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

If Jordan isn't the goat....who is?

noles19 likes this.
  7. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Please don't compare Max to Senna.

BigBird, stk0308, Razr and 1 other person like this.
  8. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Fantastic race and well done to Russell. When the last SC came out I thought he was in a bit of trouble with Lewis right behind him, he held his nerve(not easy to do when you know you have Lewis behind you in the same car!), pulled a gap and drove brilliantly to his first win.

Lewis and Max, gave to talk about that, don’t we? Pure racing and I like it. Max didn’t give and neither did Lewis. Both knew the contact was going to happen and the let it happen. Max could have gone over the curb to the run off and Lewis could have given a tad more space. The penalty was undeserved for Max but the 5-10 sec penalties are BS anyway and should be done away with. Along with the “wing in line” rule. Racing doesn’t happen in freeze frames.
    Alonso , what a great drive and in my view the driver of the day. If they’re something on a never going to happen but would love to see it list; it would be for Alonso to go to RedBull. He’s still one of the best, most adaptable drivers to ever be on the F1 grid.

Max vs RedBull. I say that because he’s out his foot down with that move. He knows he’s great, he has an ego, reminds me of Lewis(when I was fan) and pulls no punches. Should he have given that to Sergio? Well… he felt slighted in Monaco it seems and from the data , it looks like Sergio did fuck up on purpose. Keep in mind Sergio was on 17 points I think behind Max at that time and his deal was already done before the weekend started. What’s the long game for here though from Max? Sergio is in a tough place, he will not get another shot to win races unless he tows the line. With F1 getting so very close and Merc looking like they are getting a handle on their car, along with two very strong drivers, he could end up losing a championship because of this. Sergio is coming to the end of his career, a slight “slip of the throttle “ once again could be all it takes. Very short sighted IMO.

Next years notes, Alcon and Gassley are going to be fun to watch. Fernando is going to school Stroll and make him look dumb and non deserving. K Mag is just a beast and wish we could see him in a competitive car. When does Ferrari ditch LeClarc and sign Lando ??

9. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I was unaware that slowing for team orders brought a penalty.

Let's not forget that Checo was the only one on med tires at the end of the race. Could RB have pitted him as Ferrari pitted Sainz? Idk, but Max could have slowed.

In fact, Checo was told by the team that they would swap places back if Max didn't pass Alonso. They played that message on the TV broadcast.

10. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Yep, just like Lewis. The two of them can have each other. I just hope they don't kill themselves or somebody else.

11. noles19

Like it or not they have the same mindset. Senna is one of my favorites but the man hit prost like a torpedo in WW2 to win the championship and he would have done it every single race to have the same outcome.

stk0308 and Boman Forklift like this.
  12. noles19

Also leclarc not having that mindset is why Ferrari won't win a championship with him.

13. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

Dont compare Max to MJ or Kobe either. He is not in the same atmosphere......

BigBird and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  14. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Max is more Rodmanesque than like MJ.
    Side note to give class props to the Redbull and other pit crews high fiving and congratulating George on the way to the post race interview.

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yea that was cool. I hope George doesn't turn into the condescending prick most other champs turn into. I don't think he will.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  16. noles19

Accomplishment wise? Not yet. Mentality? Yeah he is

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

He's not, but everyone as there opinion. MJ and Kobe wanted to win at all cost. Max saying what he said about Lewis hitting him and he was ok with the result, that aint MJ and Kobe. Sorry...

BigBird likes this.
  18. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Leclarc is too busy looking for the torpedoes from Ferarri "strategy"

19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Have to disagree. What he said was that he knew when he went around the outside in turn 1 that Lewis would not yield space as he should have, see the rule below about passing on the inside of a corner which clearly states that a significant portion of the overtaking car needs to be alongside the car being overtaken . That was clearly the case as Verstappen was ahead leaving turn 1, watch the replay attached. Lewis then retook the lead between 1 and 2 but Lewis had the responsibility as the the driver being overtaken in turn 2 to give space if a significant portion of the attacking car was alongside his. He didn't and Max knew he wouldn't as he clearly stated. Why would Max yield if he felt and did have a significant portion of his car alongside Lewis? If you want evidence that Max had a "significant portion" of the car alongside Lewis then go to this clip and pause at 23 seconds. https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35019582

F1 rules state "
    “In order for a car being overtaken to be required to give sufficient room to an overtaking car, the overtaking car needs to have a significant portion of the car alongside the car being overtaken and the overtaking manoeuvre must be done in a safe and controlled manner, while enabling the car to clearly remain within the limits of the track,” read the FIA’s guidelines.

“When considering what is a ‘significant portion’ for an overtaking on the inside of a corner, among the various factors that will be looked at by the stewards when exercising their discretion, the stewards will consider if the overtaking car’s front tyres are alongside the other car by no later than the apex of the corner.”

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You greatly underestimate his ability to be a cunt. It might seem less noticeable because Max is such a gigantic POS but don't think for a second that Leclerc won't toss any notion of sportsmanship out the window the minute he has something on the line.

If you pay attention, you can usually see it before they win the championship. I could be wrong but I don't think he's one of them.

Razr likes this.