The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I presume you mean a time series doppler radar model. Even the best meteorologists will not always get high precision rain prediction out 15 minutes (rain is spatially fickle -- you see this often with rain only on one part of a track), but his team new rain was coming and rain was there. Lando decided for himself to stay out.

rd400racer likes this.
  2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, your right. I revisited the situation and read a couple of accounts, and they did everything short of blocking his car on the track to make him pit.

3. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

It's just pure speculation at this point, but it would be interesting to know if drivers in the early days of radio communication would have been as arrogant as drivers are now, thinking they have all the info they need? (Even with the lack of much telemetry, if any at all, in early days).

I think back to COTA a couple of years ago when LeClerc was told to stay off the curbs and he snottily shot back "why". (It doesnt need to be said, but "Because we said so, we have all the info" comes to mind.)

Schumacher brought a lot of that narcissism to the plate where he felt he was by far the smartest person in the team. I know for drivers (or any top line athlete) to reach that top level, they need a shit ton of narcissism and arrogance, but it just seems like the Zoomers have it more than those that preceeded them. (#GetOffMyLawn)

When Kimi shot back, it was over gaps and splits, which he could see in his rear view mirror. I still thought it was stupid of him, but it's a whole other level to scream at the team to shut up when they are trying to get you to come in to get off slicks for the impending rain.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What's worse is that it's not even limited to established champions who have enough clout to argue with the team. Motherfuckers like Tsunoda with nothing on their resumes behave like that on the radio.

DrA5 likes this.
  5. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Hamilton was told to pit and ignored them too. He just listened the 2nd time.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It starts at a young age too. Jack Doohan, just this morning, ignored team orders and took chances with his teammate as they were running 1-2, with a chance to take the F3 team championship from multi-year champion team Prema. He spent the entire cooldown lap justifying his actions in a long monologue. The engineer wasn't even arguing with him.

You could tell he is Mick's kid. :D

7. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

BTW the funniest thing to me was the commentators laughing about Bottas' race engineer saying 'top 5 is possible today', and then him finishing ... 5th. :D

8. zjay

zjay Well-Known Member

100th gp win. I remember when JS 27 gp wins was the target. Lucky or not, definitely the best driver of his generation.

Along the same line as Bottas reaction was when Sainz was told by his team possible P5.

9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I agree that Norris was acting like it was his “one shot”, but to give him a little credit, weren’t the people on the radio pretty passive? I remember them saying something to the effect of “what do you think about swapping to the intermediates?” I don’t remember hearing, “hey it’s going to get way worse in a couple minutes. Pit your ass now.”

10. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Even in bike racing I’m surprised that the decision to pit is on the rider and not an engineer. That shit is way outside of their control.

11. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Norris wanted to be Brad Binder. He was not.

12. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Lots of Sunday afternoon driving here.

When I had two way pit comms on my endurance kart I was always hollering at the pit to shut up bc I was trying to concentrate on the scrap I was in or hitting my marks.

But Lando was driving an F1 car...in the rain...trying to hold off Lewis Hamilton...to win his first GP ever.

Sheesh, maybe you guys could cut him a little slack.

PS. The pit wall doesn't always get it right.

VFR#52 likes this.
  13. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Bottas reposted this meme on his social media.

As much as it sucks for him to get shit on every weekend by his team, he's transitioned to full DNGAF mode which has created some entertainment.

upload_2021-9-27_2-59-18.png

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  14. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

You should see the Finnish F1 board about how Merc is turning his car down …

15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Wait, so you are saying it is actually a collaboration between Mercedes and Yamaha? :D

cpettit likes this.
  16. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

God I cant wait for next year. No more of this clear #1 and #2.

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

19. rwdfun

rwdfun

I know right. Latifi and Albon are definitely on even ground now. Oh wait. Or did you mean Haas finally treating Mazapin as equals with Schumacher?

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Amazing! I thought that was real footage for a second. Looks incredible if you blow it up to a big screen.