1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Endless Downward Spiral of America

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by spcassell, Aug 14, 2013.

1. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I think NYC has pretty strict rules on "rent controlled" properties.

As an aside, I was surprised to learn that two little old ladies in an apartment building I lived in were on rent control. In North Carolina! They had both become widows in middle-age and had both been living in the building for more than 25 years. When the previous owner of the building sold to the local apartment renting goliath he put a clause in the contract that these two would live there as long as they wanted for their current rate. Both paid less than $50 per month. I paid $500 per month. No hard feelings from me; I thought it was awesome! The guy in the article not so much.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

New Jersey has similar anti-landlord/owner laws. My parents managed to live rent free from '74-'82 (putting the rent money in escrow) from shitty landlords. They got a huge settlement and were able to purchase a home from the savings. (which ended up in court with a successful claim against the builder).