1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That wanker Casey Stoner has been mouthing off again

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Oct 22, 2020.

1. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

It is quite a sight to see when you go to a race in Europe. Of the 90,000 people in the stands, about 85,000 of them are wearing some type of Rossi gear. People of all ages wearing the yellow 46, it is insane to see his popularity, especially in Italy.

The ovations for Rossi are so loud and long it gives you the chills. Yet he seems so humble about it and shares the admiration with his team and his VR46 academy riders.

I have always felt Stoner was jealous of that. When he was announced he got less of a reception than even Lorenzo. It seemed like that lack of acceptance ate at Stoner and made him miserable. I figured it was more a maturity thing than a riding thing.

Stoner was a very good flash in the pan - not nearly a long enough or successful enough career to be considered in the top 5 of MotoGP/500 cc history.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I've been to a few races in Europe. The things you see walking around the track are just unbelievable. They worship Rossi. Even in Spain.

The Great One and BigBird like this.
  3. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Regardless, it’s not the same as quitting.

4. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Agreed.

You can be wearing a Rossi t-shirt anywhere in Europe and even the waitress in a little cafe in some tiny village will know about Valentino Rossi and be a fan of his. The yellow smoke bombs and VR46 flags on the warmup lap make me smile.

It also makes me smile to see people wearing the NH69 gear at the GPs.

5. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

All other arguments aside, you realize racing is purely for entertainment, right? He's the greatest ambassador to the sport in that regard. People who don't know squat about motorcycles know his name. Can't say the same about Marquez. You can almost make the same comparison to Schumacher and Hamilton in F1. Or Beckham vs almost anyone else in soccer.

6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I was at Mugello in 2010. When I picked up the morning paper in Florence and saw Rossi was out I was so pissed. But I was taking my dad, who knows next to nothing about bikes, to the race. He knew who Rossi was and could see some of the popularity in the city. When we were at the track and Rossi called in from the hopital and addressed the crowd via PA, most of the women and some of the men were crying and then started chanting "forza vale" and shit. It was mind blowing. Not Brady, Gretzky, Jordan or anyone else I know of would get that kind of response. It was electric.

That's when my dad understood. Me too.

edit- Poggio Secco sucks for seats.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When did Marc talk shit?

The Great One and Knotcher like this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Oh dear god no, can you imagine the wailing of Crashlow about how he should have gotten trick part A and upgrade B cuz he has the pace to win?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Meh, he was only 19 at the time.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Both really.

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

No kidding. I'd pay hard earned money to have a beer with anyone who has become the best in the world at anything. Plus I'd buy the beer.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Screw that, they're both rich enough to buy. Although I did have to give Rossi a smoke once, in exchange he introduced me to Angel Nieto so I made out on the trade.

BigBird and JBraun like this.
  13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I gave Pops some Camel no filts one time. I about shit myself when he lit up while washing parts in either kero or gasoline and didn't blow himself up (again). :crackup:

14. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

We aren't talking about best at saving wrecks and surviving riding above the limit. I said fastest ever, and this convo was about Stoner, which goes together, because quite frankly, he is the fastest ever to ride a motogp bike. Again, Rossi and myself agree. So your opinion is invalidated.

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

A cigarette will not ignite gasoline. Science.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

But sparking up a zippo to light your smoke would. :crackup:;)

17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Fair. You'd look cool as f#ck doing it too.

18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

There was some soccer player named Pelé that might have been a bit more of a household name than Beckham was and in a time when social media didn't exist.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

He was like 167 years old but, yeah, he was cool as f@ck.

20. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Funny thing is Rossi binned it out of the podium twice this year. So with minor change he would be up near the front. Oh and I think Morbidelli has been behind him a bunch.

I agree you can see his results tapering off but this year he has been up front more than a the majority. He might not win but for you to he has to be passed. Compare that to HRC, Aprilia, KTM, Ducati..... Compare him to Petrucci? Or without the DNFs Dovi. Yes they were on him rather than being binned but acting like Rossi is so uncompetitive :crackup: If chance had shifted a little he would be a lot closer to #10 than not. But then that is racing right?