1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temporary Car Tags in Alabama (or Maryland)

Discussion in 'General' started by Sweatypants, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

just print a tag looking like a temp dealer tag and write the 30 day out date in it.

or write " OMW to the DMV" on it :D

Dragginass likes this.
  2. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

or just put FTP like my friend did for years on his motorcycle:blart:

Sweatypants likes this.
  3. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

I went that direction first, but MD requires the title. I "feel" like once upon a time they gave me one for a similar thing as this, but I also feel like I remembered having to kinda sweet talk the lady into doing it. Officially on the website, they want the title, and them giving you a temp tag is specifically to drive it to go get inspected and the like.

Louisiana has 2 DMV's along my path that will give them to you for like $6 or something. I'm gonna just try that and hope its not a shithouse of waiting time.

4. Sweatypants

This is exactly why i didn't wanna just go the no tag route. there's lots of space between LA and DC with state troopers who have nothing better to do, or towns that could use some free revenue. Treating it no different than going to the beach from DC. One of my most favorite roads is a detour off MD-404 to Rehobeth. amazing sweepers and perfect pavement. I used to ride my R6 to the beach that way and average like 140mph. EXCEPT, there's 2 tiny towns along the way where the speed limit goes from 50 to 25mph, and cops just sit right at the sign. I've seen them give people I know tickets for 27 in a 25, so while I've never driven thru LA/MS/AL... that's what I'm expecting it to be like. Happy to be proven wrong, but i'd rather have no troubles.

PatricksDad likes this.
  5. Sweatypants

I'm already a yankee with a ton of tattoos and shit, I don't need to give anyone any more excuses.

6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Don't forget to add it to your insurance before you take off on your multi state drive. Around here, that would get you in more trouble than no tag. Also, a tag that isn't registered to that car, that is a problem.

Sweatypants likes this.
  7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Maine just wants a VIN and proof of insurance. The plate is typically 14 days or less, and is only to be used to come straight home no detours really please straight home...

8. PatricksDad

PatricksDad Won’t die a blob

I know that road and those speed traps. Ugh.

Sweatypants likes this.
  9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

That being the case, I recommend a Trump 24 bumper sticker and, for good measure, an NRA decal. You don't want to end up sharing a cell with Bubba. Seriously, you'll be fine. Southerners are invariably polite to Yankees until said Yankees start telling them how things are done up north.

Phl218 and Sweatypants like this.
  10. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Being that I’m also from Maryland, you gotta be borderline autistic to think an Eastern Shore Trooper isn’t going to haul your ass to jail for that one. The minute you get north of Richmond, the stupid gets stupider. I wish you well on this voyage.

Sweatypants and PatricksDad like this.
  11. Sweatypants

i never do, and also i already called a bank and a DMV down there, and everyone is so polite. i really do enjoy that about being virtually ANYWHERE else besides the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic haha

12. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

13. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Drove a sprinter van from Ga back to NC with no tag. It was insured, had title amd bill of sale. No issues in this case. I've always been told this is the proper way. Using a tag from another vehicle is a no no.

14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Yep, Fictitious tag and no insurance will make for a very long day.

Shenanigans likes this.