1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell me about fishing boats

Discussion in 'General' started by klebs01, May 12, 2014.

1. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

Figured it was my turn for a non-racing thread calling on the beeb's vast knowledge. The wife has decided she wants a fishing boat. Right now we are looking at something like the Lund fury xl sc. Anyone have experience with a boat like this? This will be our first boat, so I'm not sure what all we need to look for or what deals are out there.

2. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

where do you fish?
    what do you fish for?
    will you trailer it, or do you have a house on the water with a boat lift?

one thing that is applicable to all boating needs...dont skimp on the trailer, dont skimp on the electronics.

3. klebs01

Fishing in lakes and rivers in WI. Honestly, I just stared fishing again after about 15 years off. So some bass, walleye, pike, and musky. I will be trailering it with my F150. Looking at the electronics, I'm thinking I want a fishfinder with downscan, sidescan and gps chart plotting. Not sure which are the best value units though.

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Whats the largest boat the F-150 limit you to trailer?

5. klebs01

9000lbs or so. Do think I want to go that big. Lol

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I am a skier not a fisherman however when I do get to the fishing level I would go center console without a doubt... Just my 2 cents...

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

A built-in fish chest is a must. Keeps your beer really cold while you drown worms.

8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Find a buddy with a boat.

Buy his gas.

You don't want your own boat.

9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

+ a brazillion.

Don't know much about inland fishing but I take it the AL boats are preferred as they don't shatter on impact with the odd river rock.

If you like it, buy the next size up. My experience is boats look much bigger on the sales floor and on the trailer than in the water. Never wished I had less boat.

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Best advice ever!

11. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

You looking at new or used?

A buddy just bought a new Glasstream. Super nice, fully fiberglass and resaonbly priced.

http://www.glasstream.com/

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

As an ex boat captain I'll do my best to give you some sage advice.

First off, the Lund that you picked is an excellent choice for the area you live in. The waters you deal with are different than the lakes in the southeast or of course the Atlantic and Gulf. It's not so much that particular brand but more the shape...it works well in the Great Lakes and attached waterways.

I assume that you are mechanically minded, so the main things you want to look at are: is the hull structurally sound and what condition is the engine. Most everything else you can fix yourself. I'm partial to Johnson/Evinrude because we could not break the ones we had. Mercury's are great if top speed is your thing but we had more breakdowns on the Mercs over the J/E's. There is always Honda and Yamaha but if I recall they fetch more money than the others.

Boats are great. Some of the best times of my childhood were when my dad took me out on his boats and taught me the ways of the water. Everybody jokes that the best day is the day you sell...in my mind if you feel that way then you were never a boat person to begin with.

13. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

That's funny.

He's from Wisco, so that means he's gonna buy a Lund, Alumacraft, Crestliner, or Larson.

14. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

That boat will be perfect for inland waters and calmer days on Lake MI. I just unloaded an older 14' that was just too small and too narrow, the new wide beams are the tits though. My boss picked up a used Lund Mr Pike and it's a nice boat... a lot more stable with the wide beam.

We always ran Lowrance stuff in our boats and never had an issue with them. Don't forget to get a SD card for the upgraded base maps. I had a fishing hotspots card in my old boat and it was nice especially when going to lakes I had never been on.

If you plan on running on Lake MI for Salmon or Lakers, it's nice to have a kicker motor for trolling.

When you get a boat, do your self a favor and take a Milwaukee River Cruise. Set in at McKinley and cruise through the harbor and up the river. Stop at Barnacle Buds, Horney Goat, Ale House, etc. If you've never made the river trip, it's a neat way to get a different perspective of Milwaukee. Just watch out for the Coasties on the weekends, they like to make "safety stops" on the smaller tin boats.

15. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Two best days of a boat owners life???

The day he bought the boat and the day they sold the boat!

B.O.A.T. = Break Out Another Thousand

Ask me how I know......

Do as Tony340 suggested.

16. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Short of buying the boat I've never had any real complications in owning one other than the necessary maint. on it. Same goes with the trailer and wheel bearings, if you actually take care of them its a non-issue. Much better to own if you have a boat lift in the body of water you want to be at though.

17. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

I own a center console Donzi offshore fishing boat with outboards, and a MTI racing cat with two turbines....
    one costs me barely anything to run
    one costs me a house note to run.

boats are like cars...they will cost you nothing, or a lot of money depending on how you take care of them, how you use them, and what they can do.

a boat lift is a godsend. so much so that I am building another one so i can keep both boats on the water.

18. tony 340

Pics of Donzi please. Love them.

I saw a SWEET offshore type old one on the water yesterday.

Thing looked mint.

19. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

offshore fishing boat or a go fast boat?'

Best boat i have owned. It is getting painted as we speak, to match my new MTI.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. tony 340

Keep the MTI that donzi is badass.

The donzi yesterday was offshore style. It was like a collectors car.....just an awesome well taken care of boat.

I bet that boat gets up quick.