1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech Question

Discussion in 'General' started by aip, Feb 20, 2001.

1. aip

aip Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to a tech novice how a two stroke puts out more horsepower than a four stroke?

2. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

One explosion per crankshaft revolution on a 2-stroke. The 4-stroke fires every other rotation of the crankshaft. The rest of the time, it's just "coasting."

3. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

Don't forget that you also don't have valves, camshafts, cam chains, etc to rob the engine of power. They're also tuned to a much higher level than your average "diesel". How often do 4 stroke guys talk about replacing their cranks and pistons?

Sean Jordan
    Novice #230

4. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Yeah, but if you want to start getting technical, you also have a lot of inefficiencies in the 2-stroke as well, such as burning oil with your gasoline, mixing your fresh intake charge with burnt gases, etc... which probably reduce the output of the 2-stroke. But don't quote me on this, I'm definitely no expert in the matter.
    However, I think doubling the number of explosions is the main factor in generating more power out of 2-stroke.

5. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

Okay, Sean, how about the relative lubrication efficiency of gasoline-diluted two-stroke pre-mix oil vs. undiluted synthetic oil in a four-stroke? How does that affect your theory of parasitic power loss?

6. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

(Me, peeking from behind JU's shoulder) "yeah, that's what I said, punk. Who's the man now? Who's the man?" [​IMG]

7. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

Hey, I was still writing mine while your post was going up. How was I to know?

8. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

I was talking to Sean from behind your back, not to you...

9. jericson996

jericson996 Well-Known Member

10. aip

aip Well-Known Member

Thank you to erickson for the link to how stuff works. It made it a little more simple. I guess the bottom line is like a GP bike it is Purpose built. A two stroke engine is designed to be small compact and produce HP.