1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tear off's (how many?)

Discussion in 'General' started by YZFBeliever, Jun 28, 2011.

1. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

As I start doing endurance races I am going to start using tear off's. I bought a package (Arai) and I can'r believe how bad the optics are.

I can't imagine being able to put more than two or three sheets on a shield.

Is this normal? Did I get a knock-off set and not real arai tear off's??

2. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

+1 mine fog up as well.

3. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Never had a problem with mine, I use the Suomy's on a Scorpion EXO700 and EXO750 helmet. Just have to get them on there right or they will bubble.

4. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I put on 3. I do them dry and it seems to work out.

5. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

I used 2 at a time at the TT and the optics were damn near the same as without the tearoff... they didn't fog up either

Did you remove the film cover from both sides that they come in?

Not sure why you would need more than 2 tearoffs for roadracing

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wouldn't go more than 2 and they have a covering on BOTH sides of the tearoff so make sure they're both gone. Arai tearoff optics even using 3 have always been perfect so I'm betting there is something else going on.

7. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

Uh film cover> hahahahah I think maybe I need to take a nother look at them before my stupid sets in a little further. :D

8. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

:crackup:

9. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Racing Optics tearoffs are laminated in stacks of 7. Looking thru a stack is like looking thru a single tearoff.

10. weiljh

weiljh Well-Known Member

2 Tear-Offs is what we usually what we put on a shield for all of the AMA riders. Now saying that there is a 3 of the SuperBike riders that we put three tear-offs on for, but the third tear-off is on for the sighting lap only. Our Japanese tear-offs have a green film on the outside of the tear-off and a clear film on the inside of the tear-off. The best way to install these tear-offs is remove the inner clear film, then attach the tear-off to the posts, and then remove the outer cover. Then on the 2nd tear-off leave the outside green film on till your ready to go an race, that way it is protected from finger prints and scratches. If you attend any AMA races this year, Bruce or Myself will be under the blue Arai tent, and would be happily show you how we do it. There is also a video on OnTheThrottle's website that will explain proper tear-off usage.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

While you're here... Any difference in the tearoffs for the old RX7's and the new Corsair V?

12. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

The old ones wont fit the new Corsair V

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well hell, guess I need to order new tear-offs to match the new shields.

14. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Haha, at least you are willing to let us know you messed up :D

Another thing about tear off's is that I always run one even on sprints and trackdays. The shields get so pitted from all the crap being thrown off the tires that it really helps save your shield from getting really torn up so fast. Those thing's aren't cheap, and I've even cleaned the tear offs a few times before I've just replaced them. Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard though :crackup:

Last year I set my wife's new Suomy up with a tear off shield and tear offs and we were at a trackday. She comes in after like the second session and hands me her helmet (without tear off now) and say's "I need a new tear off, mine got dirty" :eek:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  15. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

You must have never raced endurance at Nelson Ledges at dusk...

16. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

3-4 is fine

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wear them on the street for exactly that reason.

18. weiljh

weiljh Well-Known Member

Because of the shield on the Corsair-V being ten millimeters wider, you do need different tear-offs for the Corsair-V. And Chris 3 mil tear-offs you can use up to 6, 2 mil tear-offs you can use up to 12, but 5 mil tear-offs I wouldn't recommend more than 3. The tear-offs begin to look "hazy" if you use more than the recommend amounts. 2 mil tear-offs are good up to about 90mph, 3 mil tear-offs are good up to about 125mph, and 5 mil tear-offs are good up to about 200mph. We use 2mil at 1/2 mile dirt track races, 3 mil at mile dirt track races, and 5 mil for road racing.

And Spooner your are so very correct, tear-offs save shields. So if you guys aren't using them, I would highly recommend trying them

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thanks for the info, I'll order some 3 mil from Marmo today. Actually guess I'll get the 5mm since I have a habit of lending them to racers.

20. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

This thread is killin' me! Last weekend I went to visit my mom. she has a 2007 Acura MDX identical to mine. She rode in my car and said "Your GPS is so clear! I can't get the screen on mine clean."

I looked at her car and it still had the clear plastic film on the screen. (4 years...)